Monday, April 7, 2014

Double Fault by Janine Caldwell

Double Fault

By Janine Caldwell

Blurb: DOUBLE FAULT is the 2nd book in The Vortex Series where Cassie and Trent’s problems have only just begun. As they fight through the repercussions of creating a parallel world, other dangers are lurking. After years of running, Trent and his orphaned sister, Lorelai, sense the dangerous and power-hungry Dr. Fox is close to discovering their whereabouts.

While Cassie fears for Trent’s life, her tennis career hangs in the balance. Caught between her old and new life, she watches her world slowly crumble until it’s a tragic portrayal of all that she used to know. But worse yet, if her secret is revealed, she might lose what’s most dear to her heart.


Genres: Young Adult, Romance, Sci-Fi 

Publication Date: March 11, 2012

Pages: 231

Series: The Vortex Series (book 1)

My Rating: 1.5 stars

**Slight spoiler warning.**

A free copy of this book was received in exchange for an honest review.

I'm giving this an extra half star because there was action in this book, unlike in Rematch, and I had said in my review of Rematch that I really was hoping for some action. While a tad cheesy, I got my wish. So, I decided to boost my rating up just a bit.

While that complaint from Rematch was answered in this story, a lot of the things I didn't like in Rematch persisted in here. I still am not a fan of the heavy romance, for example. And aside from that, Double Fault had a lot of new problems that actually weren't present in Rematch--or if they were, I did not notice them.

First complaint; Cassie. Oh dear Cassie, I think love has made you blind. I didn't have this problem with Cassie in the first book, but wow, she made some not-so-smart decisions and remarks in here. First, she starts talking to this 'recruiter' from NYU. Except, this recruiter is obviously shady. She does not make the connection at all, even though it's so blatant. Here's one example of what I am talking about:

He is talking to Cassie, trying to get her to come to NYU. And all the sudden, he brings up this interesting tidbit that is seemingly random:
Did I mention the other prestigious departments we offer at NYU?"
"Um..." Boy, he's really committed to the job, isn't he?
"Our music department for instance, is really quite something."

Did I mention her boyfriend, Trent, is a musician? And he just randomly brought up their music department? But instead of having a red flag go off in her head, she got excited, because she thought, "Hey, we can go to the same college."

When said guy is trying to get her to come with him in his car, she's a bit nervous and suspicious. However, she doesn't listen to her gut because she claims dude has credentials. Except...the only credential listed was the fact that he gave her a business card. I wouldn't exactly call that credentials.

When she is trying to explain to her little brother about why she and Jeff broke up, she says this: "So, because Jeff and I are so young, our relationship was never supposed to last forever like an adult relationship would." ...But this doesn't apply to her and Trent, because they are apparently soulmates and destined for each other. I'm not being sarcastic right now, she literally thinks that.

Aside from making some bad decisions, she kind of annoyed me. When she finds out her best friend is into Trent, her reaction is, basically, I should have known. I mean, who wouldn't be attracted to Trent? He's a musician, he's hot, and he's smart!' Just because you think your boyfriend is amazing does not mean the rest of the female population has to be attracted to him as well. That was presumptuous. I mean, yes, her friend liked him, but that doesn't mean EVERYONE does.

Trent gets kind of possessive of Cassie in this book, and wasn't fun to read about. It seems like he's kind of insecure about their relationship. At one point, he says he'll only forgive Cassie for doing something (spoilers, sorry) if she tells him she loves him more than she loved Jeff.

So, I wasn't a huge fan of either main character in this story. I'm giving up here and deciding not to read the third. There was a cliffhanger in this one, but right now, I don't think it's wise for me to continue the series.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my blog!