Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Just Like A Musical by Milena Veen

Just Like a Musical

By Milena Veen

Blurb: Seventeen-year-old Ruby Fields has always lived by the rules set up by her foolishly overprotective mother. As a result, she doesn't go to school, she's never been kissed, and almost everything she knows about life is what she has learned from old movies.

But now there's this Joshua guy. He's quirky, and he's tall, and he uses “romantic” and “old-fashioned” in the same sentence.

And there's Mrs. Wheeler, an eccentric retired Hollywood costume designer and Ruby's new best friend.

When Mrs. Wheeler ends up in the hospital only a couple of days after telling Ruby her long-kept secret, Ruby decides to break her mother's rules and embark on a journey that will change her life forever.

This heartfelt coming-of-age story will appeal both to young readers and adults who still remember the pain and beauty of growing up.


Genres: Young Adult, Romance, Realistic Fiction 

Publication Date: December 15, 2013

Series: N/A

Pages: 185

My Rating: 3.5 stars

 This was a really nice story. It's sweet, serious, and humorous at the same time. I'm not sure how the author pulled that off, but she did!

The characters were really well done and three dimensional. We have Ruby, the protagonist, who is likeable and is the kind of girl you would actually want to be friends with, not be jealous of because she's so perfect. Ruby's friendship with Mrs. Wheeler was so refreshing to read about. That dynamic isn't something I've seen very much in the YA books I've read. It was such a sweet friendship, and even though for a lot of the book we didn't get to see Mrs. Wheeler, you could still tell that she meant a lot to.

Joshua. Wow, Joshua was quite the character. First off, I would like to say that he is very original and I liked that his character development went beyond 'love interest' in the story. His struggle with Turret's Syndrome is yet another unique part of this book. He was funny, but he also was a bit jaded. I really liked him.

The plot; like I said before, the plot was more serious realistic fiction, but the author threw in some humor to lighten up the mood. There were a lot of scenes that I absolutely adored, but I won't go into them because that would give away some aspects of the story, and I don't want to ruin the book.

The one thing I was a bit skeptical of; I love the characters in this book, but there were times that they didn't talk like teens. Their conversations sounded like they belonged to someone older. I suppose this could be because Ruby says she feels like she belongs in a different decade, but there were times when she did sound like a teenager.

I really liked this book.  It was a nice escape, and I wished it had not ended so soon!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my blog!