Monday, April 7, 2014

Rematch by Janine Caldwell


Rematch

Janine Caldwell

Blurb: Trent Astor is many things—orphan, runaway, musician. But what’s most extraordinary about Trent is that he’s a time traveler. His supernatural gift sends him on missions to the past to save unsuspecting victims from harm. However, when he fails to save the life of a young girl, his life changes in ways he could never have dreamed.

At eleven-years-old, Cassie Moore suffered through a horrific shooting. Tragically scarred from the ordeal, the once promising tennis prodigy was forced to throw away all hope of a future in tennis. Now, as she begins her senior year of high school, the past continues to haunt her. She struggles to find herself, her self-esteem at an all time low. If only she could resolve the past, she might be able to move on with her life. She never imagined that could be possible until she meets the gorgeous new student in her PE class.

Genres: Young Adult, Sci-Fi, Romance

Publication Date: March 10, 2012

Series: N/A

Pages: 231

My Rating: 2 stars

A free copy was received in exchange for an honest review.

If you would rather read a high school drama then a time travel novel, this book may be for you. Sadly, this was not the case for me, and so I was disappointed with this book.

That is not the only problem I have with Rematch, but it is the main one. So little of this book had to do with time travel; instead, there were breakups, kisses, and Homecoming. One would hope that in a book with a time traveler, time travel would play a major part in the plot. But until you neat the end, it is simply used as an obstacle in Trent/Jeremy and Cassie's relationship. 

There is also insta-love in this book. It's not bad as other books, but immediately, the protagonists are attracted to each other, and their relationship moves very quickly after that. I love when romances slowly build up, but this happened all at once, and I didn't like it.

The plot was slow. There are many mundane scenes, like Cassie getting ready for school, Cassie getting a homecoming dress, Trent talking with his sister about her crush...there's not a ton of action in the book, aside from the very beginning. Again, shouldn't time travel be more adventurous, more exciting? Shouldn't there be more heart pounding scenes with Trent saving people's lives? There's only two of those scenes in the whole book.

I didn't see Cassie as a very strong character. I could understand why the author portrayed her that way because she went through a very traumatic experience when she was younger, but I would at least liked to have seen a bit more personality from her. Kissing Trent really wasn't cutting it for me. I felt like she was almost always a damsel in distress, and calling Trent 'her own personal hero' wasn't really helping that.

I did not hate this book. I never felt the urge to throw it across the room. But I did not like it very much. I am hoping the sequel will be better, because something that did have to do with time travel happened at the end of the book. Fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my blog!