Monday, April 21, 2014

The Choice of Twilight by Tyler Wise

The Choice of Twilight

By Tyler Wise

Blurb: At the ripe old age of twelve, Ty's life is falling apart. The day he starts middle school, Ty's grandfather dies of unknown causes. Devastated and still in mourning, he is forced to continue his first year in the new school where old and familiar is quickly replaced with new and intimidating.

On the eve of his thirteenth birthday, Ty awakes to find himself in a dreamworld, one—so he is told—that exists to pit him against his greatest fears and insecurities. And to ready him for a final choice. Luckily, Ty is not without friends. He soon finds Genno, a wooden puppet his grandfather made for him years ago, walking and talking, ready to help Ty learn what he needs to return home in one piece. He must rise to the challenge and face the alluring wonders of a deceptively perfect toy factory, an army of living stuffed animals (that are far more threatening than they sound), and a cruel captor who wants nothing more than to keep him trapped forever.


Genres: Juvenile, Adventure

Publication Date: March 17, 2014

Pages: 288

Series: N/A

My Rating: 3 stars

A free copy of this book was received from the author in exchange for an honest review.

If there was one word I could use to describe Choice of Twilight, I would definitely choose 'creepy.' This was the creepiest book I have read in a long time, possibly ever. I haven't read a lot of books like that, so I thought that was really great.

This is a really imaginative story. The things Ty faces, the dreamworld...I was really impressed with how new and unique it all was for me. And the fact that it was so new really added to the creepy part. That's really the strong point of this book.

I liked Ty, but the character I liked the most, suprisingly, was the wizard. Yep, the wizard. I know he doesn't show up a lot, but when he did he was wise, a bit funny, and maybe it's just because I read Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire right before this book, but I thought his personality was a bit like Dumbledore's. Maybe that is just me though.

However, there were a couple things that took away from my overall enjoyment of the story. First, there were some editing errors. At times the story would jump from third person past tense to third person present tense and then go back again. I wasn't a fan of that. It also had a few run-ons, but that didn't happen a ton. My main problem was what I mentioned before; the third person past to the third person present.

Also, a lot would happen in a very short amount of time. It would jump from one thing to another, and I wish that this had been spaced out more. This became noticeable for me nearer to the end, so I won't share the example I had written down due to spoilers.

Despite some of my reservations, I still think this book would be great for kids who like books such as Coraline.



Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my blog!