Friday, April 18, 2014

The Lotus Effect by Bridget Ladd

The Lotus Effect

By Bridget Ladd

Blurb: An improbable partnership. An unforgettable love.

Lily Emerson, daughter of the Head of Council and Mistress of Science, has lived a privileged life. It’s Lily’s 18th nameday, the day she is to follow in her mother’s footsteps, becoming the next Mistress of Science—the most powerful woman in all of City Prosper. The Architect and designer of Prosper’s future.

During the night of her Coronation, the corruption of the Council spreads before her . . . opening her eyes to the cruelty that resides in the Council, even within her own parents. Lily realizes now the title of Mistress only comes with superficial power, that to truly save the citizens—she has to fight.

Fight in the Barrage—the mechanical gladiatorial tournament in which one chosen pair of volunteers from each Sector fights, armor-clad and as a team, utilizing unique weapon specialties: the Gatling gun, the Cestus, Klaives, Crescent Knives, mechanically engineered beasts—in the hope to win the right to change the Law. A law that has remained unchanged since its creation almost eighty years ago.

The tournament that Xander, Engineering Blacksmith and Lily’s partner, believes she has no business being in.

But Lily’s different. And she sets out to prove just that.

If you’re a fan of adventure, fighting for survival, unlikely female heroines, and romance—then grab your copy today!


Genres: Young Adult, Fantasy, Romance, Dystopian

Publication Date: July 19, 2013

Pages: 538

Series: Rise of the Ardent (book 1)

My Rating: 2 stars

I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

There is no doubt in my mind that The Lotus Effect has a lot of potential. However, I never got into this one, no matter how hard I tried.

This book is a little bit similar to Hunger Games, not going to lie. However, it never once crossed over the rip-off line. (Cough cough like Arena One cough cough) The author added dozens of unique aspects to the book so that it never seemed very similar. The majority of any similarities were at the beginning, and as soon as it neared the middle there were basically none to be found, so it ended up not being a huge problem at all.

One thing I didn't like, however, was the romance. Okay, let me revise that; the romance itself didn't truly bother me, but there were times where I felt that Lily should have had more important things to focus on than wondering if Xander liked her. I don't think that if I was entering a competition that could possibly kill you, I would be very focused on crushes and that sort of thing. I'm usually fine with romance; it's not my favorite genre, but I can deal with it, but in this scenario I would expect it to be more subtle.

Also, I didn't think that there was an adequate amount of worldbuilding. I would have liked to more about the background of City Prosper and such. However, maybe it will be more explained in the next book.

As far as characters go, I had mixed feelings. There were times that I did like Lily, but there were times that I did not think she made the wisest of decisions. I feel like she got herself into a lot of trouble that could have been avoided if she hadn't been so compulsive. And I liked Xander, but SPOILER!

the reveal about his powers kind of confused me. They never played a very big role in the book...at least I didn't think they did. I have a feeling that, like the worldbuilding, there will be more of his powers in the next book. END OF SPOILER
 
All in all, I didn't love this one. It will be a good read for some, but I didn't enjoy it as much as I hoped I would. I don't think I'll be continuing on with the series, sadly.

4 comments:

  1. I've never heard of this one! While reading the synopsis, it sounded like a cool premise, and then when I got to the part about the Barrage, I definitely thought it sounded a lot like The Hunger Games. But it's good to hear that there aren't too many similarities. However, I can see where you would have issues with the fact that Lily was thinking more about whether a boy liked her than focusing on the competition. I've read some books where the characters are in major danger and they kind of stop to banter between the two of them and I was yelling "Get out of there!" to the book. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I don't like that either. I'm like, 'get your priorities straight people!' It annoys me a lot, haha. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the honest review. This seems really interesting. I'm sorry it didn't work out for you. It looks like the kind of book that I would enjoy but I totally see where you are coming from with the romance priority. That would probably bug me as well.

    I might give this one a try.

    Great review!

    Michelle @ Book Briefs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, if you think you might like it, go for it! Everyone else seems to love it. I'm definitely in the minority on this one.

      Delete

Thanks for commenting on my blog!