Saturday, April 26, 2014

The Meaning of Maggie by Megan Jean Sovern

The Meaning of Maggie

By Megan Jean Sovern

Blurb: Eleven years old. The beginning of everything!

For Maggie Mayfield, turning eleven means she's one year closer to college. One year closer to voting. And one year closer to getting a tattoo. It's time for her to pull herself up by her bootstraps (the family motto) and think about more than after school snacks and why her older sisters are too hot for their own good. Because something mysterious is going on with her cool dude Dad, whose legs have permanently fallen asleep, and Maggie is going to find out exactly what the problem is and fix it. After all, nothing's impossible when you're future president of the United States of America, fifth grade science fair champion, and a shareholder in Coca-Cola, right?


Genres: Middle Grade, Historical Fiction, Realistic Fiction

Publication Date: May 6, 2014

Pages: 224

Series: N/A

My Rating: 4 stars


A free copy of this book was received from the publisher via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

The Meaning of Maggie was a fun yet poignant book about a disease that doesn't get a lot of mentions in children's & teen literature; multiple sclerosis.

That was the reason that I wanted to read this book so badly, honestly. I actually know people who are suffering from MS. However, it seems that cancer is usually the only disease mentioned in books these days. I am not saying that I am against cancer books; no, that's not it at all, but cancer isn't the only thing out there, and so I thought it was refreshing to see something else be mentioned in here. I got to learn more about it.

Maggie was a great main character, and I think that kids will really enjoy reading about her! I really liked her; she was funny, smart, and her struggles are things that a lot of people can relate too; sick family members, sibling troubles, crush problems...she was a very well done character.

I loved that the author put some humor in here; first off, because it reminded me a bit of the Ramona Quimby series for some reason, and I loved that series, and secondly because who doesn't like a bit of humor here and there?

The one thing I did not like was the footnotes. I'm not sure if this is a new thing or something, because I read another middle grade novel a couple weeks ago with the exact same thing in it. I started out thinking, "Oh, this is new! It's cute, I like it!" but there are so many, and it just ended up distracting me after a bit. Yeah, they were at times funny, but the amount of times they were used really bugged me!

This was a wonderful book, and I am really glad I was able to read it. I liked it a lot, and personally, I think it's perfect for all ages, not just kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my blog!