Sunday, April 13, 2014

Upside Down in the Middle of Nowhere by Julie T. Lamana

Upside Down in the Middle of Nowhere

Julie T. Lamana

Blurb: Armani Curtis can think about only one thing: her tenth birthday. All her friends are coming to her party, her mama is making a big cake, and she has a good feeling about a certain wrapped box. Turning ten is a big deal to Armani. It means she's older, wiser, more responsible. But when Hurricane Katrina hits the Lower Nines of New Orleans, Armani realizes that being ten means being brave, watching loved ones die, and mustering all her strength to help her family weather the storm. A powerful story of courage and survival, Upside Down in the Middle of Nowhere celebrates the miraculous power of hope and love in the face of the unthinkable.

Genres: Juvenile, Historical Fiction, Realistic Fiction 

Publication Date: April 8. 2014

Pages: 320

Series: N/A

My Rating: 3.5 stars
  
A free copy of this book was received from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

When I saw this book, I was intrigued. I had never read, much less seen, a fiction book that dealt with Hurricane Katrina. So I was really excited to read this one. 

The fact that it was about a girl's experience during Hurricane Katrina is one of the things I did like about this book.  I knew a bit about Hurricane Katrina, but this book really showed how people would have reacted in this tragedy. I couldn't imagine going through what Armani did, especially at such a young age.

I also thought Armani was a good protagonist. She was relatable, and I liked her a lot. She also acted in what I thought was a very realistic manner, so I found her to be a very believable character as well. All the characters in this book were well thought out, but I liked Armani the best!

The reason I didn't like this as much as I wanted to is more personal and maybe others will disagree with me on it. I knew going into Upside Down in the Middle of Nowhere that it would be a middle grade book. For me, there are two types of middle grade; ones that all people can enjoy even if they are older than the intended age, and ones that are definitely more geared to younger kids. I felt this book was the latter. I am sure that there are others who would say that both teens and adults could enjoy this one as well as younger children; this is simply my opinion and it may not be held by others.

I would recommend this to kids ages 8-12 who are into historical fiction.

2 comments:

  1. This book looks a little young for me, but it looks like an interesting middle grade review.

    Great review!

    Michelle @ Book Briefs

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on my blog!