Friday, May 2, 2014

Blog Tour Review: Cutlass by Ashley Nixon



Cutlass 

by Ashley Nixon

Synopsis:
Notorious pirate Barren Reed has one thing on his mind: Revenge against the man who killed his father. So kidnapping his enemy’s fiancĂ© seems a perfect plan…until he actually does it.

Larkin Lee is more than a pretty face and fiancé to a powerful man. Her fierce personality is enough to make any pirate want to push her overboard.

But when the King of the Orient comes to Barren with a task—to find the Bloodstone, a powerful gem thought only to exist in legend, Barren sees another opportunity to destroy his enemy. Together, Barren, Larkin and a crew of pirates set off to find the stone, only to discover it caused the death of Barren’s own mother and Larkin’s, too. As his  strongest allies turn into his greatest enemies, and the life of the girl he kidnapped becomes more important than he ever dreamed, Barren’s quest for revenge becomes a fight to save the Orient.

Publication date: April 23rd, 2014

Genres: Fantasy, Young Adult

Series: Cutlass (book 1)

My Rating: 3 stars

I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Cutlass was a book that I think would have been absolutely perfect for me if it weren't for a few things plotwise that bugged me. Still, I did enjoy it.

Honestly, it would probably take some really huge problems in the book for me to NOT like it, because, well, pirates. Pirates are a wonderful reading treat for me, because I just can't find very many, and they really do make a fascinating story. Maybe there are a ton of pirate books out there just hiding from me, I don't know. The fact is, it's something that I haven't read a lot of even though I would like to. That was a pretty big reason I liked this book.

I really liked Barren. He was daring and fierce at times, sensitive and vulnerable the next. He's the kind of character, basically, that I have a tendency to really, really like. There was one thing, however, that I was not buying about him. He's the most feared pirate of them all, apparently, but yet he's a mere eighteen years old. I can suspend my disbelief for that age, but apparently he's been terrorizing the seas for the past five years or so...which would mean that he started at thirteen. I cannot imagine someone that young being such a feared pirate. The other main character, Larkin was not my favorite, but I did like her. I think that her interactions with Barren were what made her so fun to read about, especially when they had just met.

The plot was good. However, I did feel it was slow, which kind of surprised me. I wouldn't expect a pirate story to be as slow as Cutlass was. Still, I thought that as a whole, the plot was well thought out and interesting. Maybe it's simply my inexperience with pirate stories, but I thought it was cool that it was a fantasy.

I still am not sure how I feel about the romance. Yes, Barren and Larkin are good together. But it was a bit too....Stockholm Syndrome-y (That is totally a word, you and the dictionary just haven't heard of it) for me. I mean, yes, Barren's nice. But he kidnapped Larkin. Usually people don't fall in love with their captors. I don't care what reason he kidnapped Larkin. I don't care if his brother's a jerk. He still kidnapped her, and it felt a bit weird to me.

Cutlass was a book that I have mixed feelings about, if you couldn't tell, but my reading experience with it was still positive, so I think that it has earned three stars.


Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18755539-cutlass?ac=1
Purchase: http://www.amazon.com/Cutlass-Ashley-Nixon-ebook/dp/B00JUI2QJ6/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1398210772&sr=1-2&keywords=cutlass+by+ashley+nixon

http://www.amazon.com/Cutlass-Ashley-Nixon/dp/0991132300/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1398210766&sr=1-
 Will be found here come release day:
--Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=cutlass%20Ashley%20Nixon

----

AUTHOR BIO
Ashley was born and raised in Oklahoma, where the wind really does sweep down the plains, and horses and carriages aren’t used as much as she’d like. When she’s not writing, she’s hard at work on her Master’s degree in Library Science and Information Technology, working out, or pretending she’s Sherlock Holmes. Her obsession with writing began after reading the Lord of the Rings in the eighth grade. Since then, she’s loved everything Fantasy–resulting in an unhealthy obsession with the ‘geek’ tab on Pinterest, where all things awesome go.

Author Links:
https://twitter.com/Ashleymnixon
https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/5199530.Ashley_Nixon
https://www.facebook.com/ashleynixonauthor
http://www.ashley-nixon.com/



a Rafflecopter giveaway Follow on Bloglovin

4 comments:

  1. Great review, Gabs! This sounds like a really unique and intriguing read. Glad that you like it overall! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for hosting me, Gabs! And thank you for the review!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on my blog!