Tuesday, May 20, 2014

My Neighbor, the Spy by Becky Black Powell

My Neighbor, The Spy

Becky Black Powell

Blurb: Max is convinced his neighbor, Mrs. W, is an enemy spy. His risky plan to find proof of her espionage and impress the CIA with his skill threatens to backfire and lead Max and his team right into a dangerous trap. Max and the team fall victim to the new neighborhood bullies and discover something amazing about Mrs. W that changes everything.

Genres: Juvenile, Realistic Fiction 

Publication Date: March 14, 2014

Series: N/A

Pages: 204

My Rating: 2.5 stars


I received a free copy of this book via Goodreads First Reads.

When I saw the blurb of this book, I thought it would be cute. Plus, I love books that have anything to do with spies. It's one of my bookish favorite things. This book was basically what my first impression of it was; cute. It's the kind of book that I would have loved when I was younger, I can say that for a fact. Now that I've gotten older though, I did notice a couple things in the story that rather bothered me. Mainly, the predictability.

See, there are bullies in this book, as with a lot of Middle Grade category books. And the MCs are a bit wimpy. But, as in a lot of middle grade books, (SPOILER!) the MCs can overcome their struggles and the bullies get their comeuppance.  (END OF SPOILER) I've seen a lot of books do this before, and while it's a nice message, I would love to see something else.

Also, I couldn't believe that the protagonist was twelve. He sure didn't act like it. I could see him being a nine year old, maybe a ten year old at most. But twelve was stretching it. He was a bit too immature for a twelve year old, in my opinion.

Like I said before though, the story was cute. It was short, sweet, and it had a nice little ending. Also, I'm definitely not the target audience for this one, even though I do read a lot of Juvenile and middle grade; boys ages 10 and under would probably like it more than I did. So, my review should probably be taken with a grain of salt.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my blog!