Tuesday, May 6, 2014

The Last Ride of Caleb O'Toole by Eric Pierpoint

The Last Ride of Caleb O'Toole

Eric Pierpoint

Blurb: "I need you to be strong."

Caleb O'Toole could hear his mother's last words as clearly as if she was sitting right next to him. He promised her he'd keep his sisters safe. But safety is over a thousand miles away in the rugged Bitteroot Mountains--past dust-choked deserts and thorny tumbleweeds and as sun so hot, it's hard to breathe. Tornadoes and hungry wolves wait for them on the path ahead. But with the infamous Blackstone Gang hot on their trail, Caleb has no choice but to keep going. There's no telling how far the gang will go to keep their latest murder a secret. And Caleb is the number one witness to their crime.

Caleb O'Toole can hear his mother's last words: "I need you to be strong." and he can't let her down.


Genres: Juvenile, Historical Fiction, Adventure

Publication Date: September 3, 2013

Series: N/A

Pages: 304

My Rating: 2 stars


I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

(I should probably start off by saying that I am in the minority on this one from what I can see. (Almost) everyone else gave it glowing reviews, so you may want to take this review with a grain of salt.)

Think of every western movie and book that you have ever read. What did the plot revolve around? You'll probably come up with something along the lines of:
-disease
-outlaws
-cowboys/settlers
-Native Americans
-murder
-thieves

Every single event listed is in this book.

This book does prove that historical fiction doesn't have to be boring, a complaint that I hear a lot, especially from young kids, the age this book is geared to. But it could have been just as exciting if only one or two ideas were taken from that list and worked with, instead of throwing in every single thing that could possibly have gone wrong during this period in history. Or, they could have made this book a bit longer and spaced out the catastrophes; I don't think I would have minded as much, perhaps not at all, if things hadn't been happening almost on top of each other.

Of course, young kids might like The Last Ride of Caleb O'Toole more than I did, so I will not say that I am not recommending it; if there is one book that can keep a kid's attention span, it would be this one. There's hardly ever once a lull in the adventures of these fictional characters.

I may not have liked it, but I gave it an extra star because I know there are people who will. However, this one was simply not for me.

3 comments:

  1. I haven't read a western-based book in I don't know how long :P Sounds a little bit interesting but not really my genera.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't find very many despite how much I look. One that I absolutely Loved was the Mr. Tucket series by Gary Paulson, but if it isn't your genre you might not like that one very much. :/

      Delete
    2. I don't know... It's not that I don't like those types of books. I just don't read them very often so it's worth a try :)

      Delete

Thanks for commenting on my blog!