Saturday, July 5, 2014

Review: Count on Me by Melissa Winchester

Count on Me

By Melissa Winchester

Blurb: There are people that tell you high school is the best time of your life.

They lied.

High school is horrible when you’re like me and you’re autistic.

They think that because I don’t talk and I seem to always be lost in my own world, I’m stupid or deaf. Some even think I’m retarded. I’m none of those things and I don’t like that word.

Just because I've got these issues, doesn't mean it’s all I am. There’s a lot more to me, but no one really takes the time to get to know it. At least that’s how it was until Kayden.

Kayden Walker is bad news. He spends his time making people that are different, like me, feel even worse about themselves and he does it with a smile. He’s everything I don’t need in my life, yet he’s the one person I can’t seem to live without.

Underneath, there’s more to him that he’s afraid to let the rest of the world see. I've seen it and as I’m finding out, we’re not so different after all…


Genres: Young Adult, Realistic Fiction, Romance

Publication Date: April 19, 2014

Pages: 385

Series: N/A 

My Rating: 1 star


I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Count On Me had an intriguing premise, and I was in the mood for a more serious sort of contemporary, so I immediately picked up this book once I had it downloaded on my kindle. As I progressed, I began to realize that this book would not be something I enjoyed. There were multiple problems that I had with the book, and it just was not a good matchup for me at all.

First off, I didn't think the love story came off as believable, and when realistic fiction isn't realistic to me, it's a problem. Kayden may have been nice to Isabelle later, but he still had been pretty awful to her before, and I never was really able to get over that. The way he treated her, I would find friendship rather hard.

The real problem I had with this book were the run-on sentences. I hate when a book constantly has them, because it really takes away from the quality of the story. Hate. it. This book had quite a few comma splices.

I was never able to connect with either of the characters. This probably was in part do to my problems with the "realisticness" of the story. It's a big problem when I'm not able to connect to characters, especially with romance, because characters are kind of crucial in this genre. I really, really tried, but I just never could.

Though others liked Count on Me, I never found myself getting into the story. While it isn't the worst book I've read, it was not something I enjoyed, sadly.


2 comments:

  1. It's a shame this one wasn't for you - it doesn't sound like my thing either! :3

    I recently read a book where I kept wanting to insert commas... It wasn't fun. I had to keep rereading sentences back until they made sense.

    Great review! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's too bad because this sounded like something I might like. A lot of times I'm able to overlook grammatical errors because I make mistakes often myself. Except, when the grammar is really bad and hard to ignore. So, I can see how it can be distracting. Maybe your next realistic fiction read will be better.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on my blog!