Monday, July 7, 2014

Review: Marina in a Dress by Alan Davidson

Marina in a Green Dress

By Alan Davidson

Blurb: New to London, Jessica Tye is alarmingly obsessed with MARINA, a lush West End stage musical. With its storyline, its music -- and its sensational boy lead singer, Kennedy Orr, who won a TV talent show to land the role. She's often composed letters to him, in her head. When she finally puts pen to paper, it's for an emotional outpouring only, not for posting......until, surprisingly, her dull boy friend decides to teach her a lesson and mails it.
He's not to know that Jessica's letter will spark off amazing and unsettling events.....because Kennedy Orr has some obsessions of his own.


Genres: Young Adult, Mystery, Thriller 

Publication Date: March 20, 2012

Pages: 137

Series: N/A

My Rating: 3 stars


I was not as impressed with this book as I was with other Alan Davidson stories. It was slow, though the ending was better. Still, I'm a tad disappointed.

In the Bewitching of Alison Allbright, I was immediately taken because even though the book seems normal at first, you know something creepy is going on. And that's kind of what happened with Marina, too, at first. But then you realize...the book isn't creepy at all. It's just a misunderstanding.

Also, the plot was so much slower than the two other Alan Davidson books I've read, with it dragging in a couple different parts.

And lastly, I didn't like Jessica all that much. She didn't really have too much of a personality in comparison to Bonnie from Queen Rider, or Alison from The Bewitching of Alison Allbright. Yes, both of those characters were a bit unlikeable, but they were interesting characters. Jessica was not.

I did like the ending and how the mystery about what exactly was going on with the green dress and everything was resolved, because it was not exactly what I was expecting.

I realize that this review makes me sound like I couldn't stand the book, but I did like it. I just didn't enjoy it as much as I wanted to.


2 comments:

  1. Great review, Gabs! Short and simple and to the point! Based on your review, I don't think I'd like this much either. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! This was one of my older reviews that never got posted when I first wrote it. My reviews have slowly gotten longer as I've been blogging. o_O Not exactly sure why that is!

      Delete

Thanks for commenting on my blog!