Sunday, July 6, 2014

Review: Red Rock Ranch: Lucy's Choice by Brittney Joy

Red Rock Ranch: Lucy's Chance

By Brittney Joy

Blurb: Sixteen year old Lucy Rose is spending her first summer away from home and she has two things on her mind: an abandoned, violent horse and a blue-eyed cowboy. Only neither is hers. Lucy has never attracted much attention from boys, but she can't seem to ignore her blue-eyed co-worker, Casey Parker. A true cowboy, Lucy is fascinated by his gentle way with the horses at Red Rock Ranch. However, she is very aware that Taylor Johnson, rodeo queen extraordinaire, already has her spurs in him. And, there's no crossing Taylor. . . . Not until a mysterious horse appears on the ranch and pushes Lucy and Casey together. The two are willing to do anything to save the black gelding that doesn't want a thing to do with them or the human race. But, every step forward with the broken animal makes Lucy fall harder - for him and for Casey.

Genres:  Young Adult, Realistic Fiction, Romance

Publication Date: April 13, 2013

Pages: 186

Series: Lucy's Chance (book 1) 

My Rating: 3.5 stars


I received this book via Goodread First Reads. This in no way affects my opinion.

This book was a fun 'summer' kind of read. It's happy, a bit predictable, with cute romance and horses.

I liked Lucy a lot. She was a relatable character; even thought I couldn't relate to some of her life experiences, her emotions were spot on. For example, her boy troubles with Chase. I'm sure a lot of girls will be able to relate to that.

Chance was a very interesting horse. I liked him, but at the same time, his storyline was a bit stereotypical. I knew what the outcome of the book would be before it came. It wasn't anything too new, though it was still enjoyable.

Taylor and Chase were okay secondary characters. I did like reading about them, but I felt that they were a bit stereotypical. Taylor was the mean girl we see so much of in YA stories; I thought that later, she got more of a personality beyond that, but it did start off that way. Chase was less of a cliche, but at times I felt he was a bit of the hot country boy character. The author fleshed them out enough that it wasn't a big annoyance as it normally would have been for me, though.

In spite of the predictablity, I still was turning page after page, and I think that says something. Even though I knew everything would turn out all right, I was still a little bit worried. The author managed to make everything very fun and exciting, despite the fact that the plot was a bit recycled.

I would recommend this; Red Rock Ranch: Lucy's Choice is a very fun story, and even though I had some problems with it, I still liked it a lot. Tween girls would probably like this book the most.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my blog!