Sunday, September 21, 2014

Review: Blue by Lisa Glass

Blue

By Lisa Glass

Blurb: Surfing is sixteen-year-old Iris’s world, and when the ultra-talented Zeke walks into her life, it soon becomes her passion.

Over one amazing summer, as she is drawn into his sphere, she experiences love, new friendships, but also loss, with an intensity she never dreamed of.

But is Zeke all he seems? What hides beneath his glamorous and mysterious past? When Iris decides to try for her own surfing success, just as her ex-boyfriend comes back into her life, she will test her talent, and her feelings for Zeke, to the limit…


 Genres: Young Adult, Realistic Fiction, Romance 

Publication Date: May 2014

Series: Blue (book 1)

Pages: 375

My Rating: 3 stars


I received a free copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Blue, described in one word, is meh. I didn't hate it, but it never really achieved the 'great' level for me. I thought it was starting to pick up in the middle, but after a few good fifty pages or so, it went back to being a melodramatic romance with a bit too much going on plotwise.

I think the reason that I didn't dislike this, because I did have a lot of complaints about Blue and yet still gave this three stars, is that it is a subject that is very new to me. Aside from Soul Surfer, which is a verrrry different book than this, I had never picked up anything to do with surfing. I'd never even found anything to do with surfing. So this book introduced me to a whole new type of story, and it's one that I actually might be interested in exploring some more.

However, there were a lot of issues with this book at the same time. Iris was a very blah main character. I never really liked her; she came off as rather Mary-Sueish, with her only redeeming quality being the passion she had for surfing and the ocean in general. Being a newbie to any books about surfing, I found that refreshing. Other than that, though...she was very negative about most people, and she refused to get rid of her ex-boyfriend completely even though he was a total dousche to Zeke. It reached stupidity level. (SPOILER, HIGHLIGHT TO READ: Her ex STABBED Zeke, and she's still talking to him. Who does that?)

I had mixed feelings about Zeke. He started off as a unrealistically perfect, cliche love interest (and he also had a YOLO tattoo, which made me giggle a bit) but he ended up being really cool. He was an adrenaline junkie, but he was actually pretty likeable. His flaws come out later, which made him seem more human.

On a scale of 1-10, the insta-love in this book rates at about an 8.5. (Some people might actually argue higher, but I've read worse.) The romance happened really quickly; there was barely any actual development of Iris and Zekes' relationship--instead, it just seemed to magically appear.

The plot went like three directions all at once and it was a big hot mess that could not be saved by the coolness of Zeke whatsoever. I'll try to keep this vague so I don't ruin the plot, but there were drama filled surfing competitions, secrets revealed about Zeke and his family, a bunch of romance, and Iris' ex, Daniel, causing a bunch of trouble and being a dousche in general. After a while, I just zoned out, read for the sake of getting it finished, and checked how long this book was going to go on. There was so much that the plot tried to do, and it accomplished none of those things very well.

Would I go on reading this series? No, probably not unless I read a lot of really good reviews for the second. But was Blue a complete letdown either? No; I did like the surfing aspects of the book, just not the other multiple, slightly overdramatic plotlines.

1 comment:

  1. Hi! I've nominated you for the 20 Things You Might Not Know About Me tag! Here's my post: http://blueeyebooks.blogspot.com/2014/09/20-things-you-might-not-know-about-me.html

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on my blog!