Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Review: Earth & Sky by Megan Crewe

Earth & Sky

By Megan Crewe

Blurb: Seventeen-year-old Skylar has been haunted for as long as she can remember by fleeting yet powerful sensations that something is horribly wrong. But despite the panic attacks tormenting her, nothing ever happens, and Sky’s beginning to think she’s crazy. Then she meets a mysterious, otherworldly boy named Win and discovers the shocking truth her premonitions have tapped into: our world no longer belongs to us. For thousands of years, Earth has been at the mercy of alien scientists who care nothing for its inhabitants and are using us as the unwitting subjects of their time-manipulating experiments. Win belongs to a rebel faction seeking to put a stop to it, and he needs Skylar’s help--but with each shift in the past, the very fabric of reality is unraveling, and soon there may be no Earth left to save.

Genres: Young Adult, Romance, Science Fiction, Paranormal 

Publication Date: October 28, 2014

Pages: 336

My Rating: 3 stars


I received a free copy of this book via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Earth and Sky is about aliens. This is also one of the few paranormal creature books that I usually like. I don't know what sets them apart from, say, werewolves or mermaids, but for some reason books centered around aliens tend to do better with me--perhaps its that they are less likely to be formulaic. Earth & Sky was not a letdown; not knowing exactly what to expect, I found myself pleasantly surprised at this book.

The plot was entertaining and didn't resemble anything I've ever read before. It was very different; think of a scavenger hunt of sorts, except that the scavenger hunt takes place in different continents spanning centuries. Yeah, it was pretty fun. And there were some pretty interesting ideas thrown in about how time travel could alter life in unexpected ways. I especially liked that the predicament with Skylar's brother was added to the book; it gave a more personal, believable approach to how time travel would affect things. I hope that this plotline still is touched on in the next books, because it was probably my favorite part of the whole story.

Time travel is a big factor in this book, and the author didn't give a wishy-washy "we aliens have a gift" reason for why it was able to happen. The explanation sounded scientific. (which is surprisingly hard to come by in YA, I've found) The details didn't feel forced; the rules of time travel were reasonable.

However, while I enjoyed this book, I had issues with it as well as likes. First off, I didn't like Skylar and Finn, or their relationship, very much. I felt like there wasn't much substance to them; not a lot of character growth, and not all that much personality. Skylar was the typical female protagonist; she wasn't all that fun to read about, because she was not interesting. Win was only slightly more interesting because he was an alien, but other than that, he was the stereotypical paranormal guy to Skylar's typical girl.

I didn't feel like there was much chemistry between Skylar and Finn, probably because they were a bit dull. Not that much chemistry made for boring "romantic moments". I felt like they were just together for the sake of having romance in the series, which I really hate.

Also, near the beginning the plot is a bit slow and at times I found that it was bogged down with unnecessary details. Like Skylar seeing that her friend's favorite coffee shop has a help wanted sign in the window. This really doesn't add anything to the plot; once I got to the end, I saw what the author's intent may have been, but I still don't think that having some random fact about a coffee shop thrown in was the best way to do it.

Earth & Sky is an entertaining read, and it manages not to fall into most of the paranormal tropes. It wasn't at the level of amazing, but it was fun.

4 comments:

  1. The cover is gorgeous! That's too bad that the MC's were a bit boring :/ I think I'll try it though! At least the blog was pretty interesting! :D

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, the cover is soooo pretty! I love it. :) Thanks so much! :D

      Delete
  2. Lovely review! I think I'll give this a try (mostly because I really love the cover, hehe) :)

    Also, I tagged you to do the TBR tag! Check out my post for details: http://myaddictionbooks.blogspot.com/2014/10/tbr-tag.html

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on my blog!