Monday, October 27, 2014

Review: Tear You Apart by Sarah Cross

Tear You Apart

By Sarah Cross

Blurb: An edgy fairy tale retelling of "Snow White" set in the world of Kill Me Softly for fans of Once Upon a Time and Grimm.

Faced with a possible loophole to her "Snow White" curse, Viv goes underground, literally, to find the prince who's fated to rescue her. But is life safe in the Underworld worth the price of sacrficing the love that might kill her?


Genres: Young Adult, Romance, Retellings, Fantasy 

Publication Date: January 27, 2015

Pages: 384

Series: Beau Rivage (book 2)

My Rating: 2.5 stars


I received a free copy of this book via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I am a sucker for fairy tales. No matter how many bad reviews a book may have, or how cheap the cover looks, I will read it. That is how deep my love for this genre is. (Trust me, it takes a verrrrrry deep love in order to overcome a bad cover.) Tear You Apart had a lot of things going for it; an interesting blurb, a great cover, and the fact that it was a retelling of Snow White. And yet, there is basically one element of the book that totally ruined any chance of loving this story for me.

It was not the plot; the plot is what saved this story. Despite any annoyances with Tear You Apart, I always remained interested because the storyline is quite interesting. It's mostly a Snow White retelling, but because Beau Rivage is a modern day town with a bunch of 'cursed' living in it, there are also a lot of elements from other fairy tales in it. This makes it even more fun, because characters from different stories can be added, and the tale doesn't have to always be strictly followed. The modern spins, like turning the underworld from 12 Dancing Princesses into a nightclub, were all quite entertaining.

Also, this book incorporates the most obscure versions of fairy tales into it, not bothering to keep the creepy or most bizarre versions out. These are not all the sugar-coated Disney version fairy tales; there are references to some of the more violent versions of these stories. Also, it's not just the mainstream fairytales, which I loved. There are some people mentioned in this book that I didn't even recognize from fairy tales that I'd read; it was all quite fascinating.

So, what exactly could ruin this story for me? Well, the main character is the answer to that question. Viv is a holy terror of a main character. She is at times stupid, she is a horrible girlfriend, and she is annoyingly whiny. She worries that Henley will hurt her, despite his constant protests to the fact. Even though he doesn't show any signs of wanting to hurt her, she treats him like crap because she is afraid he will hurt her. Utter. crap. She flirts with other boys in front of his face just to make him jealous; she constantly judges him unfairly--like calling him her stepmother's puppet right after he nicely drove her to a party when her car broke down, just because he and her stepmother walked in at the same time. And then she wonders why Henley seems to not like her as before.

She is also not that bright and a bit self centered. She says that she refuses to memorize names of anyone with over six siblings because "there is only so much room in her brain." What?! And there is one point where (view spoiler)

I also felt that at times the story was predictable, especially the romance. There was technically a love triangle in here, but it was very weak. Almost anybody reading the book could see how it would end. There was a lot of emphasis put on one boy, and the other boy seemed to just be there to add drama--more of a plot device than any real romance.

Tear You Apart had an entertaining storyline, but infuriating characters. I would have enjoyed it a lot more if it had not been for Viv.


1 comment:

  1. I fell in love with fairytell retellings after I read The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer. I haven't read anymore books from the genre, but I'm definitely looking to add more to my collection. I love this cover, and even though the main character is an ass, I'm still intrigued to read it. Hopefully she doesn't bother me to the point that I have to classify it as a DNF, I find that I don't have much patience with some books these days lol. Thanks for sharing, and nice meeting you!

    Tika @ fANGIRLconfessions. - http://fangirlavue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on my blog!