Saturday, October 25, 2014

Review: Turning Curse by A.C. Harrah

Turning Curse

By A.C. Harrah

Blurb: Irresponsible was one word used to describe Prince Liam. Liam preferred fun-loving. After years of pulling pranks on his fellow nobles and ruining balls, Liam’s prospects for a bride are looking dim. At his wits’ end, Liam’s father arranges a marriage between Liam and his best friend Cordelia. She is the last person in the world Liam wants to marry. When Liam confesses this to her, she transforms Liam with a curse.

Now Liam must escape her clutches while breaking her spell, but he is trapped in her castle with no way to escape. His only hope is to persuade Cordelia’s servant Gabrielle to help him. However, Gabrielle has a secret of her own, and helping Liam is something she cannot do.


Genres: Young Adult, Romance, Retellings, Fantasy 

Publication Date: May 5, 2014

Pages: 271

Series: Turning Curse (book 1)

My Rating: 3.5 stars

I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. 

This is a mashup retelling of All Kinds of Fur, a super obscure fairytale(Don't look up the story if you don't want to know too much about the plot in this book!), and The Frog Prince, which everyone knows about. If you have any doubts whether the author could pull off retelling both of these stories in the same novel, don't. Turning Curse did well combining elements from both of the fairytales into a really great book.

The characters are pretty complex in this story. Liam, the main character, is a bit of a jerk. He's inconsiderate, and hasn't really grown up yet. Quite honestly, I didn't have a lot of pity for him at the beginning of the book. However, he grows a lot during the progression of the book. He was quite the three dimensional character.

Gabrielle was a pretty good love interest, but I didn't think that the romance storyline was what made me like her. I wanted to know exactly what was going on with her! Some of the stuff I will admit I was able to guess at. But other things were big reveals for me.

I felt bad for Liam's brother Alan, because he really did not get a happy ending at all in this book. Not even close to one. Thankfully, he is getting a sequel, because I felt that in order to make sure Liam ended up happy, Alan's heart repeatedly kept getting shattered.

The one character I hated was Cordelia. I thought that she was rash and she would continually get on my nerves. Even when the book tried to make me feel sorry for her I couldn't. The hate was too strong.

Considering I had forgotten most of the storyline for All Kinds of Fur, I was always very eager to see where the plot would go next. It was pretty twisty, so I never got bored.

Besides abhorring Cordelia, the one thing that got on my nerves during the course of this story was Liam's tendency to sound too modern. Everyone sounded regal and royal in this book...except Liam. It might have been intentional, but I still didn't like it because it didn't fit in with how everyone else talked.

Turning Curse isn't afraid to break out from retelling 'traditional' fairytales like Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty, and it has quite likeable characters. Despite a few blunders to take away from what have been a four star rating from me, I enjoyed reading it.


4 comments:

  1. I agree with your review! I felt so bad for Alan too. But I loved the 2nd book! Alan <3
    Awesome review! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I liked the 2nd book too! Kind of made for everything Alan went through in this book, haha. :)

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you enjoyed this book, I felt the same :)

    http://enchantedbyya.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/review-maze-runner-maze-runner-1-by.html

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on my blog!