Saturday, October 18, 2014

Review: Water's Edge by Rachel Meehan

Water's Edge

By Rachel Meehan

Blurb: THE CLIMATE IS CHANGING.

Thousands are fleeing the chaos and social unrest.

With their own water and power supplies, fourteen year old Nairne and her family are well prepared, but most people are less fortunate. When Nairne persuades her father, Daniel, to house some of the evacuees on their small holding in the south of Scotland she plunges the family into a world of violence, deception and murder.

With society at breaking point, she has to grow up quickly as she discovers that the fortress Daniel built to give his children a chance has become the prize in a struggle where winning can mean the difference between life and death.


Genres: Young Adult, Dystopian 

Published: March 24, 2013

Pages: 262

Series: Troubled Times (book 1) 

My Rating: 3 stars


I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Water's Edge has its highs and lows. By the last half of this book I was quite interested, but it took a while to get to that point. There were some other flaws that still kept me from being fully immersed in the story even when I had become interested as well.

I liked the main character, Nairne, due to the fact that she was a very strong heroine. In no way did she resemble a Mary Sue. (Whew. I was beginning to think that all YA characters were becoming annoyingly perfect and it scared me.)She had a good sense of intuition that I liked, and her bond with her family, especially her brother, was interesting to read about.

The plot did take a while to get into, as I mentioned before. I thought it took a while to get to the actual story. Once it did, however, I was enthralled. The story is pretty original; Dystopian, but taking place during the apocalyptic event, not after it. I haven't read many of those, and honestly, the ones that I have read weren't all that great. I thought this one did a better job at describing the catastrophes that were happening then the others I've read did.

The problem that I mainly had with this book was the grammar. There were commas where there shouldn't have been, and that is basically my grammar pet peeve. I cannot stand comma splices in particular, and there were a few of those here. (If I remember correctly, I found most of them in the first half of the book, which may partly explain why it took me a bit longer to get into the story.)

Also, there was many a part where I wanted to yell, "Show, don't tell!" at the book. The story tended not to show through actions and words, but through the narrator, and that annoyed me.

I enjoyed this book; perhaps enough to read the sequel if I ever have time. It's definitely a series with potential.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my blog!