Saturday, November 22, 2014

Discussion: Goodreads, AKA, The Precious

Sorry I haven't done a discussion post in such a long time! I am still getting used to doing them. It is still hard for me to come up with ones that I can be satisfied with putting on my blog. But I'm working on it!

I decided to go with talking about Goodreads for this discussion post, because...I really. love. Goodreads It is the most beautiful website in the entire world.  Goodreads is what influenced me to start blogging, and how I have found a plethora of the most wonderful books known to man. (And also a lot of super crappy ones, but let's not talk about those, hmm?) But I also hate Goodreads. Because it is the most epic time-waster I have ever encountered in my entire life.


It's not Goodreads' fault, of course. It's mine. I tell myself, "let's just update my progress with Gone with the Wind!" and before I know it it's an hour later and I've joined two new groups, commented on statuses, and written another review. Definitely NOT just updating my page number on Gone With the Wind. Meanwhile, a pile of homework sits on my bed, waiting to be done.Oops.

Shame on me.

But can anyone blame me? Goodreads is like an oasis of booklovers in a desert of people who literally have never read a book in their life besides ones for school. I had a conversation yesterday about Mockingjay with a group of people, NONE OF WHOM HAD ACTUALLY READ THE BOOK. They just saw the movie!
But it's The Hunger Games! How???
 
So, when I get on Goodreads, where practically EVERYONE has not only read the Hunger Games, they can also quote directly from the books, I am one happy little bookworm. 
Plus...the recommendations guys. How do they know me so well? Are they spying on me? (Probably not, but you never know.) I have found so many good books using that recommendation system. So really, who can blame me if I take thirty minutes sorting through the new books that Goodreads think I would like? No one, that's who. '

And the groups, especially the ones with Read and Reviews and fun little challenges. So addicting! I have joined so many. I mean, they're just motivating me to read, riiiiiight? Even though at this point I spend almost as much time looking for new groups and challenges as I do reading, if not more?

So, you see my problem. 

Lately, I've been trying to make sure that I don't waste time on Goodreads. I have made a rule that I am only allowed to go on after I've finished a book/while writing a review for already finished books. It's been working out pretty well for me. Sometimes I am weak and break that rule-- *blushes*--but most of the time it's kept me from going on.

I can always use your guys' tips. So how do you deal with Goodreads addictions? Or are you an incredibly self-controlled person (in which case PLEASE TEACH ME YOUR WAYS) who never has had this problem? Or do you hate Goodreads and have no idea what I am talking about? Let me know below!

4 comments:

  1. I've actually never really had this problem... I have SUPER strong self-discipline (or I like to think so) and I tell myself, I have to do all my homework before I'm allowed on Goodreads. Sometimes, I have too much homework so I never get on that day but most of the time I do. If you do all you're homework right after school just to get it over with, you have the rest of the night to go crazy! It's been working so far for me! Nice post!

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I am jealous of you! I always tell myself I'll finish my homework first; but that only works like half of the time, lol. I think I may be hopeless.

      Delete
  2. I love Goodreads, but I have never gotten sucked into it, but I am definitely a binger, so I can see how this happens!
    Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on my blog!