Friday, November 21, 2014

Review: Darkness by Elizabeth Arroyo

Darkness

by Elizabeth Arroyo

Blurb: Seventeen-year-old Carly Lopez suffers from post-traumatic stress, though the “post” part technically doesn't apply…not when the killer is still out there. As the only survivor of the killing spree that left four dead girls in its wake, Carly fails to unearth her buried memories of that day and is consumed with guilt. After a year of silence, the killer is back, and Carly will stop at nothing to catch him. With each new death, Carly’s reality shatters, propelling her deeper into the darkness where the dead haunt her—but where the truth lies. Her only firm grasp of reality is Hunter Jackson, whose mysterious overprotectiveness of Carly forces her to doubt the reason behind her guilt. But Hunter has a secret. And when Carly discovers a horrible truth, she questions her involvement in the murders. Was she directly responsible? Did she help the killer? Carly soon learns that finding answers may mean risking more than just her sanity.
  
Genres: Young Adult, Paranormal, Romance, Thriller 

Publication Date: August 19, 2014

Pages: 272

Series: N/A

My Rating: 2.5 stars


I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Darkness just slightly missed the mark for me. My main problem with this book was the supernatural aspect of it. Done right, it would have been awesome. But it seemed to be just tacked on at the end, which is decidedly NOT awesome. Darkness was an okay book, don't get me wrong, but I really think that it had the potential to be great.

Main problem: Hunter. First off, the way that plotline ended up going with him, I think it's actually kind of weird that he's still a love interest for Carly. It doesn't feel right. Secondly, LOVE INTEREST. It is rare that love interests in YA are anything but Gary Stus. And, sadly, Hunter really is just the basic YA love interest. Aside from the plot twist that I found a bit creepy, he didn't pique my interest one bit.

Secondly; it took a long time for this book to get supernatural, to the point where I actually had kind of forgot that that was an element of the book. Yes, Carly is having weird "memories", but that could be chalked up to having mental issues due to what happened to her. I think the first time that it was confirmed that something paranormal was going on was around the 80% mark.

Also, due to the romance with Hunter, scenes like Carly going to a party with Hunter, and kissing Hunter, etc., etc., are sometimes in the book, and I just...didn't really care about those scenes, I guess. I mean, there's a murderer on the loose; the romance didn't seem like a pressing issue in comparison to that.

I did like the mysterious tone of the book. It motivated me to read the story, no matter if there were scenes with Hunter I didn't care for. I really wanted to find out how the book ended.

And the end...I definitely did NOT see it coming. HOLY PLOT TWIST! I had figured some of it out, but not the whole thing. That was definitely a bonus for me. I love when books surprise me.

Not exactly my favorite book, (but admittedly better than a lot of paranormal I've read recently) Darkness is a book that I'm rather lukewarm about. If you don't mind some stereotypical teenage romance, you may like this a lot more than me.

2 comments:

  1. Ah yes, plot twists that you never see coming are the best kinds :D I've never heard of this one before, so thanks for putting it under my radar!

    Lovely review <33

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on my blog!