Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Review: Fae by C.J. Abedi

Fae

By C. J. Abedi

Blurb: The battle between Dark and Light is about to begin.

Caroline Ellis' sixteenth birthday sets into motion a series of events that have been fated for centuries. A descendant of Virginia Dare, the first child born in the lost colony of Roanoke, and unaware of her birthright as the heir to the throne of the Light Fae, it isn't until Caroline begins a tumultuous relationship with Devilyn Reilly that the truth of her heritage is revealed.

Devilyn is the only Fae who is both of the Light and of the Dark, and struggles to maintain that precarious balance to avoid succumbing to the power of the Dark within him. He is the only one who can save Caroline from those who would destroy her and destroy all hope for unity among the Fae. He promises Caroline that he will protect her at all costs, even when it means protecting her from himself.

Told from the alternating perspectives of Caroline and Devilyn, FAE draws on mysteries, myths and legends to create a world, and a romance, dangerously poised between Light and Dark.


Genres: Young Adult, Paranormal, Fantasy, Romance 

Publication Date: July 30, 2013

Series: Fae trilogy (book 1)

Pages: 344

My Rating: 2 stars


I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I have a theory that out there, somewhere, there is a rubric for all YA Paranormal romances. Perhaps some of its requirements are this:

-Story must have super hot hero
-Story must revolve around girl who is special but does not know it
-Story must have some 'friend' characters...but they must be pointless in regards to overall plot
-Story must have insta-love between girl and hot hero.

Just joking, of course. There obviously isn't a rubric. (But seriously, if there was, that would explain sooooo much.) Still, despite there not being a rubric, Fae, along with countless other paranormal romances I have read, fulfilled all of requirements on this list. And that, as you can see by my rating, annoyed me a lot.

Super hot hero
That is fulfilled in Devilyn, who is not only extremely hot, but extremely possessive. Now, he was trying to protect her from the forces of evil fairies, so I'm willing to let it slide this once, but still. It was quite annoying, and it made him seem like a borderline jerk at times.

Girl is special, but she doesn't know it
Caroline. Who is a blatant Mary Sue, there's no denying it. I mean, look how Devilyn describes her when they first meet:
So fragile. So delicate. So...innocent.
I will admit that elicited an eyeroll from me while reading this.

I didn't feel that Caroline had a very original personality. It was bland, and she did not stand out in the crowd of YA heroines. I've read about a lot of girls who were exactly like her; plain, smart, not extremely popular, and who don't show a lot of signs of emotional growth throughout the book. She was a bit of a 'meh' character.

Pointless Friends
One of my hugest pet peeves in YA literature is sadly present in Fae. That one character who does absolutely nothing other than show that the MC is not completely friendless. Teddy. Poor Teddy really could have been substituted out of the book and it would have made little difference.

Insta-love
Yes, this book had insta-love. From the moment they meet, Devilyn and Caroline cannot resist each other, no matter how much they try. (At least they tried to resist at first. That is more than I can say for countless other stories.) Honestly, I would have thought that with all the complaints this aspect of books always gets, it would start to get moved off the imaginary rubric, but I guess not.

Another, non-rubric related complaint is that not a lot actually happens in the book. It is mostly Devilyn protecting Caroline and Caroline wondering what the heck is wrong with Devilyn. And romance. This book is really romance heavy, which is great if you love that sort of thing, but I was getting quite bored with it. I wanted desperately for something to occur, but nothing really did until the end.

However...towards the end when something did occur? It was quite interesting. The plot became quite different than other fae books that I have previously read. A lot of that was due to Tatiana, who was probably my favorite character in this book due to her interesting backstory and her choices during the course of the book. However, the book ended soon after things started to pick up.

Conclusion? I am pondering reading the sequel. While not a lot happened in Fae, by the end it had become its own unique story, and I actually do think this series has promise if it doesn't remain more focused on the romance then other aspects of the plot. Plus, the title to the sequel intrigues me. So, if you are into paranormal, I actually would possibly recommend this despite not loving the majority of it, because the ending makes me think that this could become a really great series.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my blog!