Sunday, November 23, 2014

Review: One Wish Away by Kelley Lyn

One Wish Away

By Kelley Lynn

Blurb: Be careful what you wish for…

Lyra has always been ahead of the curve. Top of her class in school, a budding astronomer, and with a best friend like Darren she barely has time to miss the mother who abandoned her family years ago. She's too busy planning to follow in her father's footsteps, and to become the youngest astronomer at Space Exploration and Discovery.

When a star goes missing Lyra is determined to get to the bottom of it only to discover her braniac dad is the mastermind of a top-secret government experiment. They promise to build a perfect world, one galaxy at a time, but with every tweak of the present, a bit more of the future starts to crumble.

Lyra has to go undercover to reveal the truth and let humanity decide if the consequences are worth more than wishing on a star.


Genres: Young Adult, Romance, Science Fiction

Publication Date: November 24, 2014  

Pages: 213

Series: N/A

My Rating: 2 stars


I received a free copy of this book via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

As I started to read One Wish Away, I was quite sure that I would love it. And then...I read some more. And slowly, I realized that it would not be a lovefest like I had assumed. The characters turned from awesome to frustrating, and the author didn't manage to make the plot seem believable.

At first I was quite sure I would be able to relate to the protagonist, Lyra. She seemed a little awkward, but super smart,and I was like, hey! the bookish world needs more characters like this! But then she kept making stupid, stupid, stupid decisions. She sneaks in to her dad's workplace, then gets caught. (Shocker.) Then, her dad saves her from getting sent to jail or worse, but she is warned that she can't reveal any of the secrets she learns while there. Well, guess what she does. Tells all the secrets to the boy that she has a slight crush on. And then, to add a bit of hypocritical-ness to the poor decision making, she judges someone else when they get caught for telling someone about the super-secret machine that grants wishes from stars. Like she hadn't done the EXACT same thing.

My reaction:
description

Bennett's character was the second-most disappointing character. His character development near the end was just unbelievable; and I do not mean that in a positive way. It was just a little unbelievable; kind of like the rest of the storyline.

Second, I couldn't help wondering, as they were again and again pondering making wishes happen because the "White House wanted it done"...why don'tcha just wish the White House didn't know about the project? Then we wouldn't need to sit through these conversations about if the scientists should make the wish or not. This bugged me throughout the story, and is really what made me not be able to fully buy the storyline.

This book, while promising--I mean, it is super different then most books out there--didn't properly deliver. I never really was able to suspend my disbelief or connect with any of the characters, and the rating suffered due mostly to this. It was a disappointing read.


4 comments:

  1. Great review Gabs, I haven't heard of this book before but it sounds like it really was unrealistic at times. Lyra sounds like the type to throw everything away just for romance. Oh well, better luck with your next book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, she really was. Which is kind of strange, since she was supposed to be a brainiac, so you think she would make better choices!

      Delete
  2. Gabs, I added you to a list of my favorite book blogs which you can see in my blog Enchanted by YA's side bar http://enchantedbyya.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thank you so much Anna! That's so cool! :D

      Delete

Thanks for commenting on my blog!