Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Review: Coral and Bone by Tiffany Duane

Coral and Bone

By Tiffany Duane

Blurb: Halen knows the sparks igniting under her fingertips are dangerous. She has spent her entire life trying to quell the tingly feelings that make her destroy things, but now that she is back in Rockaway Beach, where she watched her father drown, the flames have become impossible to tame.

Halen is trying to hold on, but when she is thrust into a mysterious new world, the underwater realm of Elosia, she unravels the secrets of her past and can't help but ignite. As she explores Elosia, she realizes her life has been a lie. And when those who have deceived her come to her for help, Halen must choose—walk away or unleash the magick that could destroy them all.


Genres: Young Adult, Paranormal, Fantasy

Publication Date: July 1, 2014

Pages: 290

Series: N/A (at this point, it is highly likely there will be a sequel to this)

My Rating: 3 stars


I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I went in to this book having heard that it was an original mermaid story. For those of you who have not read a lot of mermaid tales, let me tell you that this is hard to come by. It's almost as if a committee of authors came together and decided that all mermaid stories shall follow the same basic plot, no matter what. I'm only slightly exaggerating here. So, there was much excitement to start this book.

I can definitely say that this was pretty original. There are traces of the basic mermaid plot herel--girl who thinks she's normal finds out she's actually a mermaid and must get used to her new power--but the author goes beyond having Halen just explore the ocean with her new dolphin friends and crap like that, and makes it a lot more dark and suspenseful. (spoiler, highlight to see)
Plus, there's a long lost twin thrown in for extra measure. And the antagonist, Asair, is really fleshed out. There's a lot more of him near the end, and I really enjoyed that part of the plot in particular.

Halen starts out as a bit of a Mary Sue. She gets more kick-butt as the story goes on, but I still never felt like I got to know her that well, which is disappointing. (Slight spoiler, highlight to see)

And I couldn't help but feel like her sister Natalie sounded more interesting than her.
 
The real problem that I had with this book though, the thing that kept me from giving it above three stars, is that I didn't like the writing style that much. It was very straightforward and plain, for lack of a better word. It didn't get me excited for scenes that should have been exciting. It made the story a bit more boring than it should have been given the storyline.

This book isn't bad, but it is not as dazzling as I expected it to be. Maybe my hopes were too high? Anyway, if you are really into mermaid stories, this is among the better of the bunch. (Though it has not unseated the Emily Windsnap series as 'best mermaid story' in my mind.)


6 comments:

  1. I've never heard of this one before but it does have my interest now. It's a shame that the writing wasn't very captivating nor interesting, though :|

    Lovely review, Gabs <33

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it really is, because I think this book would have been awesome if the writing was a bit better. Thanks Melanie! :)

      Delete
  2. "It's almost as if a committee of authors came together and decided that all mermaid stories shall follow the same basic plot, no matter what. " oh my gosh so true!! Yay I'm glad this one was original. Ehhh I hate when the writing style isn't very good. That's a crucial part of any story! Fantastic review, Gabs <33

    Rachel @ A Perfection Called Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachel! I agree with you, the writing is so important! :)

      Delete
  3. Aww I always hope a great mermaid book will appear, but your right with authors sticking with the formulaic!! Great Review

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi! just wanted to let you know i nominated you for the sisterhood of the world bloggers award :P pls check it out!!
    http://karinysteenbooxfrenz.blogspot.com/2014/12/rules-1-thank-blogger-that-nominated.html

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on my blog!