Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Blog Tour Review: Behind the Stars


by Leigh Talbert Moore
Release Date: 12/09/14

Summary from Goodreads:
Prentiss Puckett is certain of three things:
-Graduation is two weeks away.
-Summer only gets hotter in south Mississippi.
-She’s getting a job with air-conditioning.

She did not expect to be kidnapped walking to work.
And she never expected to become a hero.

Red Dawn meets L O S T in this new action-adventure romance from Amazon bestselling author Leigh Talbert Moore.


Behind the Stars (Behind the Stars #1-6)



Buy Links:
BEHIND THE STARS Complete Set

Amazon | Google Play | iTunes | Nook | Kobo





My Rating: 3 stars



Behind the Stars was not too different from a lot of alien books I've previously read, but it still was a pretty nice story. I haven't read a ton of these types of books, so it has yet to be an annoyance to me if a book from this genre resembles other books I've read.



Prentiss was a pretty awesome main character. What I liked about her from the start was that she didn't just accept that her captors were aliens. This is something that always bugs me in paranormal stories; people are so easily convinced that these people they just met are supernatural beings. It just doesn't seem realistic! So her doubt came off as very believable. Secondly, she is not afraid to stand up for herself and take a few risks. This made her a lot more interesting as a character. Thirdly...she realized that (Spoiler, highlight to see) Jackson was a dousche canoe and dumped his sorry butt. (end of spoiler)


Gallatin, I didn't like as much because I felt like he was a bit of a Gary Stu. He was really perfect (I literally could not find one character flaw in him)...and beautiful...and caring...and 'different'...all the stereotypical aspects of male love interests. He was more of a 'meh' character for me.




Prentiss' boyfriend, Jackson, I didn't like. I didn't like him in her flashbacks, (Spoiler, highlight to see) I didn't like him when he decided to show up in the story, I never really liked him. He was a controlling, lying, jerk, and his leadership skills reminded me of the Lord of the Flies character Jack. I got so angry whenever he opened his mouth. I was so glad when Prentiss realized that he was awful. (End of spoiler)



I liked the story, though it did seem a little cliche at times. It was still fun to read; there were still things I was guessing at throughout this story.  The story had a bit of mystery as to why all this was happening to Prentiss' town, so it was exciting to finally figure that out. The final installment of this series is where most of the suspense and action came in; it was probably my favorite part. There was a lot more drama, and I thought the ending was satisfying.


One thing I did leave wanting from this book is a bit more info on some characters. Mainly, Gallatin's uncle. I kind of felt like that storyline hit a plateau and wasn't as important as it was made out to be at first. I actually didn't mind that it was pushed to the side--I liked how the actual storyline played out--but I would liked to have seen a bit more of this. I also felt like Cato could have been more developed then she was.



I did enjoy this series. I definitely am glad I read these stories all together, because it seemed to help the overall flow of the story. Overall, a pretty solid read.

About the Author
Leigh Talbert Moore is the author of the popular young adult romantic comedy The Truth About Faking, its companion The Truth About Letting Go, and the mature YA/new adult romantic suspense novel Rouge, a Quarter Finalist in the 2013 Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award.
She is an award-winning journalist and editor, who has also worked in marketing and public relations for many years. Her writing has appeared in newspapers and magazines across the southeast and Midwest U.S., and she runs the popular writing-craft blog That’s Write.
A southern ex-pat and beach bum, she currently lives with her husband, two young children, and one
grumpy cat in the Midwest.


Website | Facebook | Amazon Author page | Twitter | Tumblr | Goodreads

Giveaway:

a Rafflecopter giveaway

Blog Tour Organized By:





6 comments:

  1. This sounds good! Just a bit cliché-y but I really like the main character and how she is skeptical about the paranormal stuff. That's much more realistic than those who easily accept it. Lovely review!

    Rachel @ A Perfection Called Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely was a nice change from the way most MCs view paranormal creatures. Thanks Rachel! :)

      Delete
  2. Sometimes cliche books are alright when you have great characters and an interesting story in general! I've never heard of this one before, so thanks for the helpful review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem Melanie! I agree, characters can totally make up for a cliche plot.

      Delete

Thanks for commenting on my blog!