Saturday, January 10, 2015

Review: The Here and Now by Anne Brashares

The Here and Now

By Anne Brashares

Blurb: An unforgettable epic romantic thriller about a girl from the future who might be able to save the world . . . if she lets go of the one thing she’s found to hold on to.

Follow the rules. Remember what happened. Never fall in love.

This is the story of seventeen-year-old Prenna James, who immigrated to New York when she was twelve. Except Prenna didn’t come from a different country. She came from a different time—a future where a mosquito-borne illness has mutated into a pandemic, killing millions and leaving the world in ruins.

Prenna and the others who escaped to the present day must follow a strict set of rules: never reveal where they’re from, never interfere with history, and never, ever be intimate with anyone outside their community. Prenna does as she’s told, believing she can help prevent the plague that will one day ravage the earth.

But everything changes when Prenna falls for Ethan Jarves.

From Ann Brashares, the #1 New York Times bestselling author of The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants series, The Here and Now is thrilling, exhilarating, haunting, and heartbreaking—and a must-read novel of the year.


Genres: Young Adult, Time Travel, Adventure, Romance

Publication Date: April 8, 2014

Series: N/A

Pages: 256

My Rating: 1.5 stars

 
I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Note: I kind of had fun with this review and added a large amount of gifs to it (for me) so if you don't like gifs then this probably is not the review for you.

This got better as I went along by a miniscule amount, but really, there was just a huge amount of eyerolling throughout the entire story. A lot. I'm pretty sure my eyeballs got a little workout due to this book.

The problem I saw from the start of this book was that this book tried way too hard to be poetic. Prenna says crap that was supposed to be really deep or beautiful (or a mixture of both) but instead elicited a snort from me; an actual snort, not just in my mind. Like this:

(describing her crush)
He has hair the color of cheerios.

He is the drip, drip of water that carves a canyon right through the middle of me. (I don't even know, guys.)

description

There was much laughter.

Secondly, the romance between Prenna and Ethan wasn't all that great. It was your run-of-the-mill sappy teen romance. How they met was rather creepy. Some of the things that Ethan said to Prenna registered on the creepy-scale as well. Like:

(They have just found something that is basically a memory video of her father's from the year she was born)
He tugs on a strand of my hair. "I could see you being born?"



description

Yes. Because there is nothing more romantic then seeing your girlfriend coming out of the womb. That should be one of your dates, Ethan. NOT.

Prenna herself is not that great of a character. She says she's smart, but she does not act smart at all, which is becoming a new pet peeve of mine because it has happened SO OFTEN lately. She makes dumb decisions, and I couldn't root for her because of that. I can't really go into detail about all of the bad decisions the readers learn she has made because it would be long and spoiler-loaded, but just trust me on this one.

Everything ended too neatly. After all Prenna went through and how scary this weird society was supposed to be, I found it anticlimactic how easily everything became nice and happy. I didn't find it believable whatsoever./

While things got a bit better as the story went through (read: Prenna stopped annoying me so much) I definitely was not a fan of this story. I really do not recommend it.


 

4 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh yes I hated this one too! The writing just didn't work for me at all.

    Great review, Gabs <33

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to know I am not the only one! I was rather surprised it was so bad considering the fact that Anne Brashares is so popular as an author.

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh that writing sounds awful!! hahahaaha those metaphors xD Meh, poor romance too?! This sounds like a hot mess. Abort!! Hilarious review ;)

    Rachel @ A Perfection Called Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rach! Hot mess describes this book quite well. :/

      Delete

Thanks for commenting on my blog!