Friday, January 9, 2015

Review: Rite of Rejection by Sarah Negovetich

Rite of Rejection

By Sarah Negovetich

Blurb: "Before you stands the future."

Straight-laced, sixteen-year-old Rebecca can't wait for her Acceptance. A fancy ball, eligible bachelors, and her debut as an official member of society. Instead, the Machine rejects Rebecca. Labeled as a future criminal, she's shipped off to a life sentence in a lawless penal colony.

A life behind barbed-wire fences with the world's most dangerous people terrifies Rebecca. She reluctantly joins a band of misfit teens in a risky escape plan, complete with an accidental fiancé she's almost certain she can learn to love.

But freedom comes with a price. To escape a doomed future and prove her innocence, Rebecca must embrace the criminal within.


Genres: Young Adult, Dystopian, Romance

Publication Date: December 4, 2014

Series: N/A (at this time)

Pages: 320

My Rating: 3.5 stars

 
I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Rite of Rejection had a solid start, a fairly solid middle...it had basically everything but a solid ending. Which is definitely a problem.

Rebecca, the main character, is not the strong, independent main character that is usually in dystopian novels. She's definitely not independent, and usually when something goes wrong for her someone else is there to rescue her. However, she develops from a naive, scared girl, into an intelligent passionate one throughout the story, which I liked. She may have started out not so great, but by the end of the story I liked her.

The other characters were okay. They weren't bad characters, I just never got emotionally tied to them. They had interesting personalities, and I liked the family dynamic between Becca and her friends...I think it was just that not enough time was given to them in order for me to like them.

I didn't care much for a love triangle. It was quite clear who Rebecca actually liked; in that case, why even have a love triangle? I suppose it's preferable to her switching back and forth between two guys, but it was still annoying.

The premise of this story, though a little cliche as far as Dystopian goes, was still really entertaining and thrilling. It made me think, too, which honestly doesn't happen with a lot of dystopian novels.

And then the end came. Total cliffhanger--and not the good kind where there is at least some resolution. We are totally left in the dark. a.) According to the Most Knowledgeable Goodreads, Rite of Rejection is a standalone; it could be that the sequel just hasn't been added yet, but right now...standalone. If it is a standalone, then this book has just doubled in the cruelty of this badly-done cliffhanger.(I will have faith that it does have a sequel, so I didn't mark down for this in my rating.) b.) even if there is a sequel; readers need SOME resolution! There was literally none. At all. Zip. Zilch. Zero. NADA. You get my point.

Rite of Rejection was a pretty great story until the last couple pages, and then I got mad with it. I liked it as a whole, but the ending was not for me at all.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my blog!