Saturday, January 3, 2015

Review: Travel Glasses by Chess Desalls

Travel Glasses

By Chess Desalls

Blurb: Calla Winston’s mobile devices sit in a corner of her room, covered in dust. Weeks ago, she shared photos and laughs with her best online friend. Now, after having felt the sting of betrayal, she prefers being hidden and friendless. She equates privacy with security and technology with pain.

Then she meets Valcas, an otherworldly time traveler who traverses time and space with a pair of altered sunglasses. When an ethereal being knocks Calla to the ground near her family’s lakeside cottage, Valcas uses the Travel Glasses to help her escape. He offers his further protection in exchange for a promise. Intrigued by Valcas and the possibility of time travel, Calla accepts. That is until she learns that his search for her was no mere coincidence.

Calla sets off on her own, taking the Travel Glasses with her. Torn between searching for her estranged father and reuniting with the rest of her family, she tracks down the inventor of the Travel Glasses in hopes of discovering more about Valcas’ past and motivations. The Travel Glasses take Calla’s mistrust of technology to all new levels. But without them, she’ll never make it back home. With Valcas hot on her trail, Calla hopes to find what she’s looking for before he catches up.


Genres: Young Adult, Fantasy, Romance

Publication Date: May 7, 2014

Pages: 214

Series: The Call to Search Everyone (book 1)]

My Rating: 1 star


I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I give up.

Well, technically, I didn't give up. I read this book to the very last word. Emotionally, however, I gave up.

Travel Glasses is definitely a unique take on time travel, I'll give it that. Instead of being sci-fi, it was very fantastical, and there were a lot of unique concepts.  Too many, actually.

I appreciated that the story was not like the usual time travel stories I've read, but I just couldn't keep up. There were too many rules! Too many stipulations, too many loopholes, too much information thrown at me at once. I was furiously highlighting everything of importance, trying to remember everything, but I couldn't do it. Mostly because some of these rules just didn't make sense. It's like they were just thrown in to make sure that all potential plot holes would be patched up. Any explanations that were given didn't make me suspend disbelief, they made me raise my eyebrows. All these rules and exceptions to those rules and whatnot made the plot seem very convoluted. It was just not enjoyable.

Also, I did not have much liking for Calla. First off, I thought she made questionable choices from the very beginning of the book. Going out to differ with a stranger was something I wasn't sure was a good idea (I'll admit that I may watch too much Dateline here, but still...) and that was just the beginning. There was nearly pointless background information given about her' not only did I think that it either should have played a bigger role in the story for Calla or just not have been emphasized as much in the beginning, it made me doubt that Calla would really have gone to dinner with a stranger. I mean, wouldn't she have some serious trust issues?

The other characters I really didn't feel that great about. All that really stood out about Romaso to me, for instance, is that his Italian accent seemed to be a bit over-emphasized. I think I probably could have liked Valcas, but his story was so tied up with all the rules of time travel that I had a hard time connecting with him.

I feel bad because it seems like I am the one person who didn't like this book. But I guess no book can be for everyone. Travel Glasses was not my cup of tea; it may be for others, but I could not get into it.


2 comments:

  1. Time travel books almost always seem to fail, it seems like it is one of those concepts that either work or don't and most people don't seem to have the skill to make it understandable.
    I am going to do this one too! Excited to see where it takes us!
    New follower :)
    Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear it's a shame that you didn't like this all that much! Time travel is a pretty tough topic to actually get right these days so I am not surprised that this fell so flat.

    Fab review, Gabs! <33

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on my blog!