Monday, February 9, 2015

Discussion: My Changing Tastes in Books


 (Please excuse the header. I know it doesn't really match my blog anymore, but I'm to lazy to completely revise it right now.)

This month, I started a review index on my blog. As I've been working on getting all my reviews linked up to it, I've been reading a lot of the old reviews. My thoughts on most of them went something like this:

1. Wow, these are really short reviews.
2. Oh my god, these are terrible. I obviously did not know what I was doing back then. (And still don't, but it's gotten a lot better.)
3. There is no way that book would have gotten that rating now. 

I've been reading these reviews, and...either I was extremely lenient with the rating, or my tastes majorly evolved. It's actually a combination of the both, actually.

The thing is, some of these ratings aren't accurate anymore. Honestly, the reviews really aren't either, in most cases. I've gotten a lot more critical throughout the two years I've been blogging, and now, I think that if I read a lot of the books I reviewed when I first started My Full Bookshelf, they would be getting one, two, or even three stars less than they originally got. I'm a lot more cranky now, I guess.

This is not the case with all of these books, of course. There are many that would stay the same.  (though their reviews would probably be more properly written then they previously were.) But the ones that wouldn't...bother me.

So, I've made a 2015 goal to do a reread month. I don't know when I'll be doing it; I'll have to get all my ARCs finished up and reviewed, first. But once I do, I'm going to be weeding through my 'read' shelf on Goodreads to try and see if anything has changed throughout the years in my book tastes. If they have...I don't know exactly what I'll do with the rating/review. Definitely change the rating, of course. But I don't want to completely delete a review that I probably spent some time on writing, either. I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get there. 

I can't be the only person whose tastes have changed when it comes to books. Have you guys ever had a situation like this before? If so, as bloggers, what did you do? Write a completely new review? Just keep it the way it was, but edit? Let me know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my blog!