Sunday, February 22, 2015

Review: The Right Song by Shane Morgan

The Right Song

By Shane Morgan

Blurb: Pain never truly goes away, until you find something deeper and meaningful that cures the heart and fills it with love.
That is what Aurora desperately wants to believe. That somehow her music can save her, or even touch the unreachable heart of the guy she has liked for years.

Rora yearns for his attention and wants to experience this so-called love that could possibly end her long suffering and inspire her to chase after her dreams.

In deeply understanding the feelings of others and herself, will Aurora give up on ever finding true happiness, or will an intriguing soul teach her about the greatest song ever written?


Genres: Young Adult, Romance, Realistic Fiction

Publication Date: July 31, 2014

Series: N/A

Pages: 340

My Rating: 4 stars

I was surprised at how in love with this book I ended up being; romance is usually hit or miss with me, and lately it's been way more misses than hits. There are a few exceptions, but overall it's not been great. But seriously, by the end of this book I was half in love with Daegan myself.

The greatest part of this romance is that it's a slow burn. There is no insta-love. There is a slight love triangle, but it's not done in an annoying way. And since a third of that love triangle was Daegan, I was totally fine with it. Rora and Daegan start off being unlikely friends, and while you can practically feel the romantic tension between them, it takes a while for them to actually get together.

I'll be honest, when the author first started to describe Daegan I wsa sure I wouldn't like him. You see, almost any time a character is a loner with a tragic past (and Daegan is both of those) he ends up being a total jerk with emotional issues, and I've started to realize that isn't anywhere near as romantic as the book always tries to make it sound. But Daegan completely defies that stereotype. While it seemed like that was the way he was going to be at first, his character ended up being really sweet. He's not some alpha male, he's not demanding...he's just really not used to friendship.

Alex, Rora's best friend, is an entitled dousche. When he doesn't get what he wants in the beginning of the book, he starts yelling at Aurora and saying all sorts of nasty things to her. He got better later, but I couldn't ever get myself to like him because of how atrociously he acted originally.

Milo is...eh. He's that bland, really nice but really boring type character. I didn't love him, but there were no murderous thoughts towards him either, so...I mean, that's good.

Rora herself was an amazing MC. She was very fleshed out as a character. I loved the passion she had for music and the relationship between her and her aunt. I loved her friendship with Daegan and her struggles of dealing with the death of her parents. I loved everything about her in general.

The plot was really good; contemporary is starting to grow on me, it seems. I loved the interactions between the characters and the tough decisions that Rora needed to make.

The writing was for the most part good. There were little things that I nitpicked; for example, when Daegan is talking on the phone to Rora, he's described as smirking when speaking. But the story is told from Rora's POV in first person, so how can she possibly know that he's smirking if she can't see his face? But those are really small details. They didn't make for atrocious storytelling at all.

Considering I usually hate romance and yet I loved The Right Song, I think this is something I would definitely recommend. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my blog!