Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Review: Storm Siren by Mary Weber

Storm Siren

By Mary Weber

Blurb: “I raise my chin as the buyers stare. Yes. Look. You don’t want me. Because, eventually, accidentally, I will destroy you.”

In a world at war, a slave girl’s lethal curse could become one kingdom’s weapon of salvation. If the curse—and the girl—can be controlled.

As a slave in the war-weary kingdom of Faelen, seventeen-year-old Nym isn’t merely devoid of rights, her Elemental kind are only born male and always killed at birth — meaning, she shouldn’t even exist.

Standing on the auction block beneath smoke-drenched mountains, Nym faces her fifteenth sell. But when her hood is removed and her storm-summoning killing curse revealed, Nym is snatched up by a court advisor and given a choice: be trained as the weapon Faelen needs to win the war, or be killed.

Choosing the former, Nym is unleashed into a world of politics, bizarre parties, and rumors of an evil more sinister than she’s being prepared to fight . . . not to mention the handsome trainer whose dark secrets lie behind a mysterious ability to calm every lightning strike she summons.

But what if she doesn’t want to be the weapon they’ve all been waiting for?

Set in a beautifully eclectic world of suspicion, super abilities, and monsters, Storm Siren is a story of power. And whoever controls that power will win.


Genres: Young Adult, Fantasy, Romance 

Publication Date: August 19, 2014

Pages: 319

Series: Storm Siren (book 1)

My Rating: 2.5 stars

I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Eh. I'm kind of indifferent about this one, which sucks, because I had been waiting to read it for the longest time. Storm Siren was a bit of a mediocre book for me.

The characters were okay; some were good, some not so good. Nym was my favorite---we are introduced to her as a defiant slave with an ability that makes her despise herself. She is the kind of character that really piques my interest from the first page, and while I thought her personality got blander as the story progressed (I blame that on pointless insta-love, ugh) I still liked reading about her.

The secondary characters, however, really didn't capture my attention. I mean, some of them died, and I just couldn't bring myself to care. At all. They had interesting personalities, but I never got emotionally invested in them. I didn't get to know them well enough that I could cry if they died. There was potential there, but they didn't get enough time in the spotlight for that to happen.

Eogan, however, was not a character I liked. He was so boring to me; I couldn't help but think that I'd saw characters like him in dozens of books; he was a Four-esque type of guy. In fact, he reminded me a lot of Four, except for the fact that he wasn't as well-written as Four/Tobias was. And therefore, I didn't like him.

Seeing as I didn't like Eogan, it shouldn't come as a suprise that I never got into the relationship between Nym and Eogan. First off, insta-love. Not only do I hate it, it totally didn't fit how I thought Nym would act. Considering how many time she has been hurt, I think it's odd that she would start pining after some random man so soon after she met him. Secondly...yawn. Give me more action, not more tingly feelings about boring boys.

The worldbuilding was inadequate. I still don't fully understand how all the powers work in this land, or the history behind the antagonist, Draewulf. Because, aside from a few sentences, we weren't given much about these things. When worldbuilding is essential to the story, you have to give readers a bit more than that.

Lastly...ACTION! This book lacked that for most of the story. If there is a war going on, and a girl with deadly powers that she can barely control, I don't expect to be this bored. But the sad thing is, for the first half of the story, the story is lacking in that department.

The ending was shocking, possibly enough for me to read the next installment, but then again, maybe not. It definitely was a suspenseful way to end, and if I had liked this book more, I could see myself being in agony after finishing Storm Siren. But, I don't know if I will continue...there were a lot of flaws to this story that I'm not sure will be present in the sequel or not.

I wasn't a huge fan of this book. It ended up falling flat for me. It's hard to completely sell me on most fantasy books, as ended up being the case her. I never got immersed in the world Storm Siren painted. It's the kind of book that I don't exactly regret reading, but I probably wouldn't pick up again.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my blog!