Sunday, March 1, 2015

5 Reasons Mary Sues Make For Terrible MCs

Hello readers! For this discussion post, I will be discussing the dreaded Mary Sue. I have been seeing a ton of these in YA literature these days, and it is pure torture. So, what better way to rant then with a discussion post list of why I hate them? You feel me, yeah? I know you do. So, in no particular order, here are some reasons I don't like Mary Sues.

1. They're so freaking perfect.

Come on girl, you're making me feel bad about myself. Even your tears make you seem beautiful. Whatever happened to ugly crying?

Ugly crying at it's finest.


2. Oh look, there comes Gary Stu.

It seems whenever a Mary Sue is the MC, a Gary Stu walks in to steal her heart with his emerald green eyes, chiseled cheekbones, roguish smile, and impeccable hair. Great, except he's usually boring as heck and I hate overly sappy romance.
STAHP. This is not an entertaining romance, this is gag inducing.


3. The Lack of Diversity

Mary Sues seem to always be super slender, with perfect hair, skin and teeth, and they are almost always white. I think this type of character is way overrepresented in YA literature; I would like to see some more diversity. There are all types of girls, not just one cookie cutter type that can be slightly changed for every book. (On a side note, I have heard that 2015 is supposed to be a great year for diverse MCs, so fingers crossed that happens!)

4. Mary Sues Usually Correlate to Poor Writing

If the author decides that using a character who doesn't seem truly human is a good idea, chances are the rest of the writing is not great either. And bad writing makes for a bad reading experience.
And everyone knows bad books make for cranky readers.

5. How Am I Supposed To Connect?

One of the greatest things about YA novels is that I can personally relate to the characters, no matter how different their stories are, where they come from, what they look like, because they share some of the same flaws or the same character traits to me, or react in a way similar to how I would in a certain situation. However, Mary Sues just don't spark that connection. You can't relate to someone who is so unattainably and unrealistically perfect. They're too boring.


 So, that's what annoys me most about Mary Sues. How about you guys? What makes you get annoyed at them? Let me know below in the comments.

8 comments:

  1. I hate the cookie cutter Mary Sues! I could handle it if they were perfect at everything but when they're always white and have the 'perfect' body, it gets on my nerves. What happened to stories about heavier girls or other ethnicity who are still badass because they really are that awesome? I think the only books I've read where it's made clear that the main character has a different skin tone than white is The Girl of Fire and Thorns series and the Eon duology. Those books were so good and they have awesome heroines!

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, The Girl of Fire and Thorns has been recommended to me a lot. I tried reading it a while back but my library loan for it expired before I could finish it. I remember it being pretty good, though. :) Aside from Historical Fiction, I can't really think of any non-white heroines I've read about lately either. :( I'll have to try out the Eon series, I haven't heard of those before!

      Delete
  2. Yes! I also hate Plain Jane! I feel like there are so many MC's that have stringy brown hair and shapeless bodies that they are ashamed of. I feel like it's an author's failed attempt at making their characters connectable.

    Emily @ Follow the Yellow Book Road

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, I've come across those. They annoy me almost as much as the overly perfect ones. I agree, thanks for commenting! :)

      Delete
  3. I've heard the 'logic' behind Mary Sue characters is to allow readers to step into the character's shoes. I don't find that to be true though. I'm with you and find it hard to connect to someone so perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I don't see how that helps readers connect at all. I've never met anyone who likes Mary Sues for that reason...it's flawed logic, I wish authors would realize that. :/

      Delete
  4. Oh oh I agree. I loathe reading characters who I don't understand, don't click with, don't feel ANYTHING for. It's complete torture. I just finished a book where I feel zero connected to the main character, it was just...blah. Not fun.
    Thanks for stopping by @ Paper Fury!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blah is right! There is basically no way if I can't connect with the character that the book is getting above three stars; and even three stars is a stretch!

      Delete

Thanks for commenting on my blog!