Friday, March 27, 2015

Review: Atlantis Rising by Gloria Craw

Atlantis Rising

By Gloria Craw

Blurb: I am different. I have always been different, but no one can know or my life will be in danger. So I hide in plain sight, wearing drab clothes and thick glasses and trying to be invisible. I’m so good at hiding, no one has ever noticed me. Until Ian…the mysterious and oh-so-cute boy I know I need to avoid.

Now I have been seen. And more terrifying still, I am wanted—by those who would protect me and those who would destroy everything and everyone I love. But if they’re all terrified about who I am, wait until they see what I can do…

Genres: Young Adult Fantasy

Publication Date: January 6, 2015

Series: N/A

Pages: 352

My Rating: 1 star

You'd think that a girl finding out she isn't human and that there are people trying to kill her would be edge of the seat thrilling. You'd think that this would actually be the FOCUS of the story. Does that end up being the case?

description

Instead, this book is about Alison staring at people and describing, in depth, what their facial features look like, and her wuv interest Ian calling her weird a lot and laughing. Oh, and then at the end there's a predictable showdown. That is Atlantis Rising summed up in a paragraph.

Mary S-I mean, Alison, is painfully boring as a character. There's nothing there. Her emotions are forced, she's a tad stupid, and the way she talks about her parents reminds me of watching someone on a soap opera.

The popular girl at school doesn't like her. Obviously. A good reason why is never given, considering that all Alison does is make sure she doesn't get remembered by anyone. She's just, totes evil, okay?

And then Ian comes in. You can spot the painful romance a mile away; he's the one boy Alison doesn't mind control into forgetting about her, their eyes meet and he gives her a 'warm smile', they get paired up in class together, and then he saves her. It's so stereotypical it's groan-worthy. Ian really doesn't have much of a unique personality either; the only thing I can remember about him was that he constantly called Alison weird (in what was supposed to be a cute and charming way) which I didn't get at all seeing as she was the most vanilla character in this book.

I really don't know exactly WHAT the plot was in here. I know what it was supposed to be; girl finds out she's from Atlantis, trains, etc. etc. but what it ended up being was: You're from Atlantis! Let's go furniture shopping! Let's throw a party! Romance! Romance! More romance! Not to mention, it was PREDICTABLE. No twists. Whenever something important DID happen, it was something that you could have seen coming from a mile away. Even the ending was boringly predictable.

And Ohmygosh, one more over-the-top character description and I would have totally lost it. Everyone apparently looks like a movie star in this book-unless, of course, they are suspected to be the villain, in which case they look gross and eeeevil. There was a whole paragraph devoted to the color of Ian's eyes. There's a whole paragraph devoted to her mother's outfit. There's a whole paragraph describing Alison after her 'makeover'. (WHY does every 'plain' YA character need a makeover halfway into the story?)

I'm trying to think of something good to say about this book and I really can't think of anything that I liked. It was nothing new; if you are hoping for something that veers away from the norm in Paranormal, I'd suggest not trying Atlantis Rising.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my blog!