Thursday, March 19, 2015

Review: Seeker by Arwen Elys Dayton

Seeker

By Arwen Elys Dayton

Blurb: Quin Kincaid has been put through years of brutal training for what she thinks is the noble purpose of becoming a revered ‘Seeker’.

Only when it’s too late does she discover she will be using her new-found knowledge and training to become an assassin. Quin's new role will take her around the globe, from a remote estate in Scotland to a bustling, futuristic Hong Kong where the past she thought she had escaped will finally catch up with her.
 


Genres: Young Adult Fantasy

Publication Date: February 10, 2015

Pages: 448

Series: Seeker (book 1)

My Rating: 1 star

The best part of Seeker was turning the last page of this god-forsaken story and feeling the headache that had begun to form slightly dissipate. This book was not fun to read.

It seemed that this book had some promise but with all the undeveloped characters, the weird love triangle, the abandoned worldbuilding, the random switching of settings, and the fact that this book LITERALLY TELLS YOU HOW TO PRONOUNCE THE MADE UP WORDS WHILE YOU ARE READING DO YOU KNOW HOW ANNOYING THAT IS, I didn't care for it. 

-Undeveloped Characters
Quin: The blurb made Quin seem like a real kickbutt character. She wasn't. I'd be fine with that, if it didn't mean that half the time she's crying or acting borderline psychotic or making excuses for her dousche of a boyfriend John. I get that she's been through a tramautic experience...but we really didn't get anything beyond that from her for a lot of the book. And it gets tedious if the portrayal isn't written well...which, in this case it is not.

John:
No matter how the book tried to redeem John's character, I HATED him. From the very beginning, I could tell he'd be a suckish character. I was right. Usually I like the messed up misunderstood characters, but John is such a dousche and so freaking stupid I couldn't even sympathize with him. He's downright awful to Quin, despite proclaiming to love her, and quite selfish besides.

Shinobu: 
Where, oh where, did Shinobu go wrong? He had the ability to be such a loveable person, and yet, what he became was a drug addicted I-don't-even-know-how-to-explain-what-happened type of character. And I'm sorry, but I'm not shipping him and Quin. He can stay in the extremely distant cousin zone.

-Weird Love Triangle
Well, I already kind of touched on this, but bottom line, it's blegh. And none of the relationships feel like actual love to me; John and Quin seem really dysfunctional, and Shinobu and Quin is just plain weird...I'm not feeling any chemistry from them. 

-The Abandoned Worldbuilding
I still cannot explain what the heck an athame or a seeker is...I know seekers are supposed to be good, but apparently they're actually bad, and I guess they're like some kind of futuristic fantasy hitmen? Which brings up the question, where the heck does this story take place? Futuristic Earth which has somehow become fantastical? Or what? Even the most basic elements of the world didn't get fully answered, and it annoyed me to no end. 

-Setting Change

This went from taking place in Scotland to going to Hong Kong with little warning and no transition. Not only was it drastically different from Scotland...it takes place like a year(?? I've forgotten how much time had passed, but it was long enough that Quin and Shinobu have like COMPLETELY changed personalities and that was just another layer of confusion) later and it was really hard to get used to. 

-IT LITERALLY TELLS YOU HOW TO PRONOUNCE THE MADE UP WORDS WHILE YOU ARE READING DO YOU KNOW HOW ANNOYING THAT IS

Well, I mean...^^^. Read above basically. Please, if you are a fantasy writer making up words in your stories (though honestly usually it turns out better if you don't) USE A GLOSSARY if you need to tell readers how your words sound. Don't tell us in the actual text. 

So. In the words of Simon Cowell....it's a no from me.

6 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you didn't like it... and the cover and the blurb looked so promising! That would be so annoying to have every new word have a pronunciation guide right by it. I mean, that's what glossary's are for! I hope the next book you read will be better :D

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura! Yeah, it was really irritating. I have no idea why the author decided to go that route instead of using a glossary, but if did not flow well at all!

      Delete
  2. GURL, WHY DID YOU DECIDE TO SUFFER THROUGH THE ENTIRE BOOK.

    Okay, honestly, I didn't like it either. The actual physical copy at target looks so cute though! O_O

    But I agree with you on all points (though I suffered only 30% through). Fab review, Gabs! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea, I thought there was a chance it would get better but it only got worse! -_- The cover is really pretty, I could see myself getting sucked into buying it if I saw it at a bookstore. Thank God I dodged that bullet. Thanks Sophia!

      Delete
  3. The cover is super PRETTY! Sorry it didn't work out for you, but hopefully your next read will :) Thanks for the honest review.
    <3 Benish | Feminist Reflections

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, it is gorgeous! I hope so too-thanks Benish. :)

      Delete

Thanks for commenting on my blog!