Sunday, March 22, 2015

Review: The Third Twin by C.J. Omolulu

The Third Twin

By C.J. Omolulu

Blurb: Identical twins. Identical DNA. Identical suspects. It's Pretty Little Liars meets Revenge in this edge-of-your-seat thriller with a shocking twist.

When they were little, Lexi and her identical twin, Ava, made up a third sister, Alicia. If something broke? Alicia did it. Cookies got eaten? Alicia's guilty. Alicia was always to blame for everything. The game is all grown up now that the girls are seniors. They use Alicia as their cover to go out with boys who are hot but not exactly dating material. Boys they'd never, ever be with in real life.

Now one of the guys Alicia went out with has turned up dead, and Lexi wants to stop the game for good. As coincidences start piling up, Ava insists that if they follow the rules for being Alicia, everything will be fine. But when another boy is killed, the DNA evidence and surveillance photos point to only one suspect: Alicia. The girl who doesn't exist. As she runs from the cops, Lexi has to find the truth before another boy is murdered. Because either Ava is a killer…or Alicia is real.


Genres: Young Adult Thriller

Publication Date: February 24 2015

Pages: 336

Series: N/A

My Rating: 3 stars

 The Third Twin started out great; it was scary, thrilling, and just plain mysterious, which a mystery should always be. However, the MC, Lexi, made some awfully poor decisions that made no logical sense, and I ended up seeing most of the big reveal a mile away. (Though, there was one part that I didn't guess.)

Lexi and Ava started out as MCs that I wanted to know more about. The game they made up, and the rules for it, really caught my attention. I wanted to know more. When the guys they started dating ended up dead, I was hooked. Then, when they meet guys that know Alicia but that they themselves don't know, I was terrified.

But then what do they do when they find these things out? When they are implicated? When the police question them? They lie their butts off. For no good reason. Oh, yes, there are reasons...but they aren't very sensible. I can't help but think that if they had just told the truth this would have gone a lot easier.

After a while, it gets clear what the big plot twist is. There's too much foreshadowing, too many hints. That and it kind of makes more sense than any of the other theories this book tried to put across. The fact that I knew what was going to happen totally lost the creepy factor for me. I no longer found it anywhere near as thrilling.

I liked the ending a lot. I felt like it really closed everything up and it was exactly what I wanted to see. There was also one part of the plot twist that I hadn't guessed, and I was really surprised by it.

This lost its luster halfway through, so I am a bit iffy on if I would recommend it to someone looking for a truly great thriller, but then again, the first half was really good, so who knows? It was still pretty enjoyable, just not really all that I was wanting.


 

4 comments:

  1. Hmm, I'm not a fan of predictability especially in thrillers so let's see for this one xD Lovely review x <3 Benish | Feminist Reflections

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on my blog!