Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Review: Fairy Keeper by Amy Bearce

Fairy Keeper

By Amy Bearce

Blurb: Forget cute fairies in pretty dresses. In the world of Aluvia, most fairies are more like irritable, moody insects. Almost everyone in the world of Aluvia views the fairy keeper mark as a gift, but not fourteen-year-old Sierra. She hates being a fairy keeper, but the birthmark is right there on the back of her neck. It shows everyone she was born with the natural ability to communicate, attract, and even control the tiny fairies whose nectar is amazingly powerful. Fairy nectar can heal people, but it is also a key ingredient in synthesizing Flight, an illegal elixir that produces dreaminess, apathy and hallucinations. She’s forced to care for a whole hive of the bee-like beasties by her Flight-dealing, dark alchemist father.

Then one day, Sierra discovers the fairies of her hatch are mysteriously dead. The fairy queen is missing. Her father’s Flight operation is halted, and he plans to make up for the lost income by trading her little sister to be an elixir runner for another dark alchemist, a dangerous thug. Desperate to protect her sister, Sierra convinces her father she can retrieve the lost queen and get his operation up and running.

The problem? Sierra’s queen wasn’t the only queen to disappear. They’re all gone, every single one, and getting them back will be deadly dangerous.

Sierra journeys with her best friend and her worst enemy -- assigned by her father to dog her every step -- to find the missing queens. Along the way, they learn that more than just her sister’s life is at stake if they fail. There are secrets in the Skyclad Mountains where the last wild fairies were seen. The magic Sierra finds there has the power to transform their world, but only if she can first embrace her calling as a fairy keeper.
 

Genres: Young Adult Fantasy

Publication Date: March 15, 2015

Series: N/A

Pages: 238

My Rating: 2 stars

I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I'll admit I liked this more right after finishing it, but after thinking about it more, I don't think it deserved the higher rating I gave it.

Reading all the reviews saying what a unique fantasy this was, I was excited. Books about fairies often make me want to squeal, but so many of them follow the exact same path. Fairy Keeper may have been unique in its utilization of fairies, but the fantasy world seemed all too familiar and over the top. 
I mean, there’s unicorns and mermaids and fairies and centaurs. It’s like every single fairy tale collided and out popped this world out of the cosmic fairy tale ooze. I originally liked how many creatures were in here...but I recently read another fantasy book that utilized a myriad of creatures in a much better and more unique way then this book did, and that really changed my opinion of how well this book handled that. Granted, the author chooses to make the world a bit darker than the norm; however, it still felt really meh to me and unoriginal.

The plot was so boring. Half of it was just a fairy scavenger hunt. Bickering. We need food. More bickering. Some weirdness happens, but not enough to distract me from the dullness that is the storyline…I really wish I was over exaggerating. But not much happens in the way of action, and I don’t care enough about any of the characters for that to be okay. Sierra…boring. There is not much that differentiates her from countless other MCs I’ve read about. I mean, she’s a little grouchier than most of them I guess, but besides that…kind of a Mary Sue at times. Corbin…the token friend that every book has to have. And Phoebe…I really didn’t care about her. She was totally rude and the book tried to excuse it away with the ‘she had a bad childhood’ thing but that doesn’t mean she has the right to be such a butt. I really tried giving these characters a chance because I wanted so badly to like this book...but there isn't enough redeeming qualities to them for me to be able to do that.

Sierra ends up being ‘special’ later on in the story. I’ve seen that plotline way too many times, so it didn’t really excite me or intrigue me like it should have. Being simply special isn’t special anymore, I guess.
There’s a weird romance with (Spoiler) 
a faun. And since the word faun automatically conjures to my mind a mental image of Mr. Tumnus, no matter how cute and wise Sierra thought this faun ‘Micah’ was, I wasn’t feeling it. Plus, like the rest of the characters…BORING.(End of spoiler)

Sierra’s father is abusive and runs some….illegal fairy drug company. It’s the fairy drug mafia, basically. Maybe not exactly, but kind of. Which is really at odds with the magical far away land that is the setting of this book; it didn’t get incorporated well into the story. The setting and some of the darker themes had a huge disconnect between the both of them. This just didn’t come across as serious as was intended. At the end of the day, it was still a children’s novel for me.

This is a book I’ll probably forget soon. The more I think about it, the more I really wasn’t a fan of The Fairy Keeper. I guess I’ll have to keep looking for a fairy novel that I truly enjoy. Which sucks, because with better characterization, this could have been that book.

2 comments:

  1. I love the cover of this novel, it's very pretty & catchy. I haven't heard many books about fairies, and this one does sound interesting - it's a shame it wasn't the best book for you. Hope the next one is a hit for you! <3 Benish | Feminist Reflections

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Benish! Yeah, the cover is SO pretty. Though the girl looks way older than the fourteen year old MC and in hindsight that's beginning to bother me.

      Delete

Thanks for commenting on my blog!