Sunday, May 24, 2015

Review: The Executioner's Daughter

The Executioner's Daughter

By Jane Hardstaff

Blurb: Thrilling adventure set in the underbelly of the Tower of London and on the Thames in Tudor times

Moss hates her life. As the daughter of the Executioner in the Tower of London, it’s her job to catch the heads in her basket after her father has chopped them off. She dreams of leaving, but they are prisoners with no way out.

Then Moss discovers a hidden tunnel that takes her to freedom, where she learns that her life isn’t what she believes it to be and she doesn’t know who to trust.

Her search for the truth takes her on a journey along the great River Thames. Could the answers lie deep in its murky depths?

Genres: Juvenile Paranormal Historical Fiction

Publication Date: January 30, 2014

Series: N/APages: 363

My Rating: 1 star

The Executioner's Daughter was actually kind of painful to get through, because I was so very bored with it. Does that make sense? Well, no, not exactly, because this book took place in a fascinating era, with characters who had fascinating pasts, and there was potential for a fascinating plot. 'Fascinating', however, this book was not. 

The problem is that despite the fact that this book has so much going for it, it drags on with useless pages and not enough plot. The blurb sits on a throne of lies; this is not a 'thrilling' adventure.' For the longest time there was no paranormal happenings. When there was paranormal activity, well, I was bored. The writing just didn't have enThe book turned something so exciting into an NPR broadcast.
description


Not helping was the fact that the heroine, Moss, was completely insufferable. She whines. She complains. She treats her dad like (insert swear here.) (HOW DOES THAT EVEN MAKE SENSE? Because in the era this is in, isn't backsassing your parents a huuuuuge no-no??) The fact I could not stand her is saying a lot, because I am a sucker for characters with sad backstories, and Moss really got the short end of the stick as far as her life situation goes, but I still hated her. 

The other characters were just as annoying. The one friend that Moss makes I could not stand. He was just annoying. The ghost lady who played a major role in the book later on seemed so cliche.

So many details were just so unnecessary to the story. Why did Anne Boleyn have to have a heartfelt conversation with Moss? Dunno. Why did we have to go in depth about everyday life at the dungeon? Because it got repetitive after a while, and it just triggered Moss complaining more, which just got...ugh.

I regret reading this, and that is saying something. It really didn't have anything I can praise in it, and so, obviously, there is no one I'd recommend this to.

4 comments:

  1. When I read your synopsis I was thinking ouuuuuu this sounds interesting. But then after reading your review, not so much. I am currently reading a book and having the same feelings. Boredom is the worst feeling while reading a book. It makes reading feel like a burden. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely is a burden to read a boring book; I feel guilty DNF-ing, so i always finish it and that makes it worse. XD Thanks! :)

      Delete
  2. Okay, but I cover judged when I saw it and though...hmm, maybe not for me. xD Maybe I was right for this one?! It sounds absolutely awful. I have a really low tolerance for characters that are disgustingly rude to their parents. And you're totally right...that screams WRONG for the era too. o.O Weirdness....
    Thanks for stopping by @ Paper Fury!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, this cover is...eh. Awful would be a pretty good word to describe it, haha! No problem! :)

      Delete

Thanks for commenting on my blog!