Monday, May 25, 2015

Review: The Fearless by Emma Pass

The Fearless

By Emma Pass

Blurb: The Fearless. An army, powered by an incredible new serum that makes each soldier stronger, sharper, faster than their enemies. Intended as a force for good, the serum has a terrible side-effect - anyone who takes it is stripped of all humanity, empathy, love. And as the Fearless sweep through the country, forcing the serum on anyone in their path, society becomes a living nightmare.

Cass remembers the night they passed through her village. Her father was Altered. Her mother died soon after. All Cass has left is her little brother - and when Jori is snatched by the Fearless and taken to their hellish lair, Cass must risk everything to get him back.


Genres: Young Adult Dystopian

Series: N/A at this point

Publication Date: April 24, 2014

Pages: 400

My Rating: 2 stars

I received a free copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

The Fearless starts off amazingly. I was hooked; There was about one page WITHOUT action, and then all hell broke loose and it was heartpoundingly suspenseful. I loved that it started off by showing exactly HOW the apocalypse started, rather than beginning afterwards and giving an infodump of information. I was sure that this was going to be one of my favorite dystopian of 2015. 

And then...things happened.

First off, there was a huge time jump. And apparently, the time that got skipped over was extremely detrimental to the little children that I had originally met in the first chapter of this book, because now one was kinda boring in a Mary-sueish way, and the other was a total dousche with abusive tendencies. 

Let's start with Cass. Like I said, she became a bit of a Mary Sue. While I thought the bond she had with her brother was nice...it did remind me a bit of Prim and Katniss. In fact, there were a lot of things in this book that seemed very similar to other dystopian novels, but I'll have to touch on that later. In addition to that relationship, she and Myo get rather insta-lovey with each other; she's having feelings for him when she barely knows him, and trusts him rather foolishly at times. I was surprised at how easily she believed him at the beginning, especially with how she'd been trained where she lived. 

Myo actually wasn't that bad of a character. He was kind and mysterious, and while I didn't love him, I really had no complaints about him. The one complaint I have was that it was so easy to see what his 'secret' was. There were so many hints towards it. 

Sol is where I get angry. He is SUCH a major dousche. He's entitled, spoiled, and sociopathic. Plus, he has some weird obsession with Cass. He thinks he loves her. Which is just so hard to understand when there are passages like this in the book: 

For a second--just a second--I think about slamming a fist into her (Cassie's) face.


description

Yeah, I get it; Sol is not supposed to be likeable. He's supposed to be that twisted character that you love to hate. The thing is, I don't want to have to read from his POV about his weird Cass addiction. It's just not okay.

There were also a lot of things that I thought were borrowed from other dystopian novels, and it just didn't feel wholly original to me. The apocalyptic disease has been done before. The sibling bond has definitely been done before. And the insta-love relationship has MOST definitely been done before, in dystopian and otherwise. There are other, smaller examples as well, though I read this long enough ago and forgot to write them down that I am having a hard time remembering exactly what they were at the moment.

However, there were some original parts that were really different and enjoyable. Myo and Mara's dynamic was definitely unique; I liked the dilemma that this posed throughout the story.

I did find some good in this book, though most likely not enough to continue with the story. (If there is a continuation, though it is not mentioned on Goodreads.) I think I've gotten to the point where I'm beginning to get sick of Dystopian, and that may have contributed to some of my dislike to this book. It's definitely not the worst of its genre, it just kind of felt like a rehash at this point, and that was something I'm not in the mood for.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my blog!