Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Review: Never Sleep by Cady Vance

Never Sleep

by Cady Vance

127 days without sleep.

Thora Green had a life once upon a time. But that ended the day her parents enrolled her in sleep clinic prison. At the facility, her chronic months-long insomnia is observed by scads of doctors, but she is never actually treated for her dire disease. In a feat of desperation, Thora escapes and heads straight for New York City. Buried deep in the city’s underbelly, there is rumored to be a secret haven called the Insomniacs’ CafĂ©: a place where people like Thora can find relief.

As Thora joins forces with Aiden and Florence, two fellow insomniacs, their midnight quest will take them from the dusty bookshelves of The Strand, to the smokey underground clubs in the Lower East Side, to countless taxi and subway rides. Clues leading to their final destination are waiting for them at every turn. But so are Sleepers—a powerful core of sworn-enemies to all Insomniacs— who wish to see Thora and her friends destroyed at any cost.


Genres: Young Adult Science Fiction

Publication Date: February 23, 2015

Series: N/A

Pages: 402
 
My Rating: 1 star

I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

This book was not unique, it was bizarre. There is a slight, but important difference between the two, and in this case, it was sadly not the former that I would describe this book as. If the explanations for things had been given a bit more scientific sounding backup, perhaps I would have liked Never Sleep better; however, there were some other problems I had with the whole things, so maybe not.

In this rare case, it's not exactly the MC's personality that made me dislike them. I actually didn't mind Thora's personality at all; I though it was pretty understandable considering her circumstances. No, in Thora's case, it's her actions that made me have a hard time understanding her. They just make zero sense.

Strike 1 against her is how quickly she bounces back after seeing her brother DIE in front of her. The brother that is supposed to be the person she is closest to. There's tears and sadness for about ten minutes. And then she gets back to hunting with the guy she has 'feelings' for (so stupid, she's known him for how long?) and cracking jokes with her new best friend who is also someone she met a few hours ago. I know everyone processes grief differently...but if ANY person acts like that less than an hour after their close SIBLING dies? Screw that. I'm thinking that they killed them if that's how they grieve. The only reason I didn't have this theory in Thora's case was that the book made it clear she didn't.

Secondly...why. why. why. Would you trust three random supposed insomniacs on the street. She literally just escaped from a clinic that tried so hard to keep her there; who's to say that those people don't work for the clinic?

And, strike three, then she goes and develops a crush on one of these people. Who could be anyone. ANYONE. She has not known him for long enough to know what his true character is. It annoyed me to no end.

The plot could have been great, but I didn't think there was enough explanation to back up the rather out-there twist it took later in the story. It was rather hard to believe, and a very complicated explanation for all that had happened over the course of the book.

The last thing that got on my nerves were random cultural references that didn't add to the story. I don't exactly know why Thora had to describe her love for Buffy the Vampire Slayer early on in the novel; I mean, good for her, it's a great tv series, but did it add absolutely anything to the plot? Nope.

Never Sleep had a great premise to work with, but the execution was less than perfect. It's definitely one of the most crazy books I've ever read; I wish that it had been better.

2 comments:

  1. Uh oh 1 star, that sound really disappointing.. It's a shame because that cover is gorgeous though & LOL at the mention of Buffy in the book, I wouldn't find any relevance to that either if it didn't relate to the plot. Great review overall <3 Benish | Feminist Reflections

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I think I'll pass on this one after reading your review! I cannot deal with heartless characters, because I am one of the most emotional people you'll ever meet.

    Thanks for the helpful review, girl! <33

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on my blog!