Sunday, June 28, 2015

Review: Nightbird by Alice Hoffman

Nightbird

By Alice Hoffman

Blurb: Twig lives in Sidwell, where people whisper that fairy tales are real. After all, her town is rumored to hide a monster. And two hundred years ago, a witch placed a curse on Twig’s family that was meant to last forever. But this summer, everything will change when the red moon rises. It’s time to break the spell.

Genres: Middle Grade Fantasy

Publication Date: March 5, 2015

Pages: 208

Series: N/A

My Rating: 3.5 stars

This is the first book I’ve read by Alice Hoffman, but I guess she has a pretty large fanbase. (So, sorry I got on that train late, but at least I’m here, right?) I’m not surprised that she’s a popular author, because the writing in this book was pretty superb. The plot, however…well, it’s not so much that it’s bad, it’s just so short that I was disappointed. I really think that it could have been made to be more complex; everything happened so fast. 
You see, if the book had been a little bigger, perhaps I could have gotten to know Twig better. She seems like a protagonist I could really enjoy; she’s pretty smart, she’s a good actress, she loves her family…but I really didn’t get a long enough time to get to know her in between all the important plot points. 

And when the plot is this inventive, it becomes particularly distracting; because then I definitely would rather focus on it. This kind of book is something I know I would have loved when I was younger, because it’s just so unique and magical. The beautiful writing just infuses the plot with a little something special, and it’s hard to put down. Curses? A “monster”? Revolutionary War-era witches? Yes, yes, and YESSS. Especially when the writing complements the fascinating story surrounding these words and phrases so well.

But, like I said before, everything happens a bit faster than I would have liked. I think some of the plot’s complexity that it could have had was lost due to this, not to mention the fact that things started to happen one after another at an alarmingly rapid pace.

The writing and the plotline had potential to make this book really special, but it just went by too fast for me to grow to love it. What could have been a very memorable book for me is probably going to be easily forgotten. 

3 comments:

  1. I there, I have nominated you for the Blogger Recognition Award. :)

    http://pagestoexplore.blogspot.com/2015/06/blogger-recognition-award.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I will try to do it as soon as I have a bit of free time!

      Delete
  2. I haven't tried an Alice Hoffman book before at all, and have been meaning to since I know how many people really do love her works. It's a shame that the plot was so short it didn't really have time to grow much.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on my blog!