Friday, July 3, 2015

Discussion: Blogging Insecurities

I have a confession to make: I tend to compare myself. I compare my wardrobe, my makeup…basically everything with everyone else around me. It’s a bad habit I’ve been trying to break, but lately, I’ve noticed a lot of ‘comparing’ myself to other blogs.

I’ll admit, I tend to feel inadequate when it comes to blogging. Little things, from cool graphics to highlight my discussion posts (when a girl only has Paint, there’s only so much she can do) to really, really huge things, like the content and length of my reviews. Should I add more? My review looks so short compared to this person’s review, I must have not elaborated enough. What if I have a typo? Oh god, there’s a typo somewhere here. Did I add enough information to support my point? Do I just sound like a broken record? Do my followers actually care about this? It’s really, really bad. 

Sometimes so bad that I actually dread writing reviews, because I just know that I will be unsatisfied with them.

I know that I can’t be the only person out in the blogging community that has insecurities about their blogging—at least, I hope I’m not!  And so I decided to write this post, not, to put it in slang terms, because I was thirsty for compliments and reassurance, but because I wanted any other people who might be going through the same doubts as I am to know that they aren’t alone, and possibly get help from some of the advice I have to tell myself in order to get myself out of comparing mode.

Tip #1: Don’t try to be something you’re not.
In order for blogging to go the smoothest it can go, you should find your own style, not wish for someone else’s. You can take tips and pointers from others if you feel it will help your own skills get better, but you don’t want to just try to copy someone else’s style. (And, though this isn’t really what I was talking about, NEVER copy someone else’s review. That’s a whole ‘nother, even WORSE issue.) If it’s not something that comes naturally to you, it might just make it harder for the review to flow.

Tip #2: Read your review over a few weeks later. Chances are, you won’t hate it so much.
I don’t know WHY this is, but whenever I read a review that I wrote a few weeks or even a few months ago, I don’t really criticize it as much as when I first published it. I actually notice that I am usually kind of proud of it. Me thinking it was horrible and such was just in my head.

Tip #3: Keep at it.
YOU GET BETTER. I only need to look at the first review I ever posted on this site (cringe) and the last to make me sure of that. I am sure almost every blogger would tell you the same thing. As you get experience making your points and getting more critical, your reviews start to get better and better until, voila! The flaws you so agonized over have become less pronounced to you.

Tip #4: In a worst case scenario, you may need to take a break.
I find that I get more critical of my reviews when I start cranking them out, thus putting less quality time to ensure they are perfect—or as close to perfect as I can get at this point. So, taking a break lets me start fresh. As a bonus, I feel less stressed. It’s a win-win!

Remember, you aren’t the only one out there comparing yourself. Maybe someone even looks up to you and wishes they could be like you!  You want to be the best blogger YOU can be; you don’t have to feel inadequate getting to that goal.

Do you ever suffer from blogging insecurities? Do you have any tips for those who do? Let me know in the comments below, I want to know what you guys think!


5 comments:

  1. I'm not a very good writer so I dread writing reviews too. Everyone else seems so eloquent and my reviews are clunky and I never know how to end them. I don't worry about length because I don't like reading long reviews. I've seen some reviews that are only two or three sentences long and I can usually manage to find more to say than that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the ending is a problem for me too. :)

      Delete
  2. I am glad that you have been able to recognise your problem and are trying to overcome it! For someone who has only got paint, your blog design is so nice DD: Don't worry about things -- I was always worried and comparing when I started blogging, but now I have found my own voice and like it a lot more!

    Check out my recent post: http://olivia-savannah.blogspot.nl/2015/07/liebster-award-tag-3.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks! I found free blogging templates so that's how I deal with not having photoshop, lol. :) I'm going to try and not worry so much about my reviews from now on. :)

      Delete
  3. I JUST did a post about this. I am also constantly comparing myself to other blogs. It’s a bad habit, and comparing just takes away the fun of blogging. Reviews have actually been my favorite thing about blogging. It’s my design that I stress about. I found a basic template for around $8 on Etsy and I have been slowly tweaking it to my liking. Honestly, PicMonkey has been a HUGE help for me. I’m still not 100% satisfied with the look, but I can cope with it for now.

    Sarah @ The Reading Petal

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on my blog!