Monday, July 6, 2015

Review: Jesse's Girl by Miranda Kenneally


Jesse’s Girl by Miranda Kenneally
(Hundred Oaks)
Published by: Sourcebooks Fire
Publication date: July 7th 2015
Genres: Contemporary, Young Adult

Synopsis:
Practice Makes Perfect.
Everyone at Hundred Oaks High knows that career mentoring day is a joke. So when Maya Henry said she wanted to be a rock star, she never imagined she’d get to shadow *the* Jesse Scott, Nashville’s teen idol.
But spending the day with Jesse is far from a dream come true. He’s as gorgeous as his music, but seeing all that he’s accomplished is just a reminder of everything Maya’s lost: her trust, her boyfriend, their band, and any chance to play the music she craves. Not to mention that Jesse’s pushy and opinionated. He made it on his own, and he thinks Maya’s playing back up to other people’s dreams. Does she have what it takes to follow her heart—and go solo?


Purchase:


My Rating: 3 stars

This was my first Miranda Kenneally book ever. I've heard great things about each story she has written, so needless to say I was pumped for this. It was...different than I expected. I liked it, but not as much as I was expecting to.

The good things first; I loved reading about Maya's music journey. Overcoming her stage fright, overcoming rejection from her band (seriously, what jerks) and just following her dreams was really inspiring and I was definitely rooting for her. 

Secondly, reading about why Jesse was all prickly and rude at the start--because, trust me, he is--was a big eye-opener and really made me warm up to him. At first I wasn't sure I could get behind this romance at all because I started off not liking him, but his demeanor made sense once I got the backstory.
I loved that there were references to songs with the titles of the chapters. It's such a small thing to love, but I loved it nonetheless. Mainly because one of the songs was Take Me Home Country Roads by John Denver and I LOVE THAT SONG.

The romance didn't fill me with feels like I was expecting it to. I never got a shipping sort of feeling from the relationship, which was the big reason I ended up only giving this romance three stars. Because, as good as the rest of the plot was, at the end of the day, contemporary romance should fill me with happy giggles because everything is just so perfect and I didn't get that vibe from Jesse's Girl. It's not that the chemistry was mysteriously off; I can actually see a lot of people clicking with this couple because they do have some good chemistry--the chemistry just wasn't registering with me. I think a lot of it had to do with the fact that the main point of the start of the romance is when Maya is shadowing Jesse, and I thought that she went from not liking him all that much to really starting to like him pretty quickly. 

I think fans of the previous books in the series will enjoy this book, especially because there are apparently references to other couples in the series. I liked it, but I didn't love it like I wanted to.

AUTHOR BIO:
Growing up in Tennessee, Miranda Kenneally dreamed of becoming an Atlanta Brave, a country singer (cliché!), or a UN interpreter. Instead she writes, and works for the State Department in Washington, D.C., where George W. Bush once used her shoulder as an armrest. Miranda loves Twitter, Star Trek and her husband.

Author links:



GIVEAWAY: a Rafflecopter giveaway


 

6 comments:

  1. Great review, Gabs! This sounds like a fun and sweet read, and I love it when you really see a character in a new light when you get their story/history. Glad you liked it overall! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited to begin this one and I love that it involves music.

    Nice review, hun <33

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book sounds pretty cute! I can't wait to see how music was infused into the plot. I'm glad the couple has chemistry. That's kinda important ;) Lovely review!

    Rachel @ A Perfection Called Books

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's always frustrating when you expect to love the romance but for some reason it just doesn't click. I've only read one of the author's books before, and it was good, but it didn't blow me away or anything. Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on my blog!